Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pull ups at night?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

I apologize if this has been posted, I looked for it for a while and have not found anything. I have been in "potty training boot camp" mode for the past couple of days. My son who has been VERY hard to potty train is doing a LOT better! Now, my question. Did you put your kids in undies at night knowing they would very likely have accidents or did you put them in pull-ups. I have been keeping my son in undies only or nakkie and he seems to be responding pretty good to it during the day but he is soaking the bed as I expected he would. I feel though a lot of my past failure in potty training was breaking down and reverting back to pull ups out of frustration. My oldest was in night time pull ups till she was almost 9 but she had a medical problem that caused her to have accidents (even during the day). So, should I keep sucking it up and dealing with the mess in the morning to not confuse him or are night time pull ups ok?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Raine2007
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I am pulling my hair out with our new found accidents, but I still leave her in undies 100% of the time. To try and alleviate the night time messes we don't let her have any tippys an hour before bed, she does get a drink of water right before bed though.  I think that part of it is that they need to learn to wake up when they have to pee. When he wets the bed does he wake up? Do you have him help change the sheets? They say making the kid clean the mess is going to reduce the likelihood of it happening again...It just takes a few times to sink in.

LovesFredric
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:08 PM
I would say pullups/diaper at night is ok....but I haven't experienced this problem before. If you're hesitant you could try a few more nights & see how it goes & limit fluids before bed.

You could also try getting him up & taking him potty before you go to bed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:21 AM
I chose not to mess with pull ups at night for my 2 year old. He wet the bed randomly for several weeks and then stopped. He can hold it now until the morning with no problem. You can do training underwear with plastic diaper cover over it. I just don't know how you can night train a child with a pull up. What's the motive to stay dry if you are wearing one.
Mama-Jenny
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM

He stayed dry last night! I have been taking him potty before I go to bed and last night it paid off. Also when I make his bed I put a mattress pad and a sheet on it then over that another mattress pad and sheet so if he does wake up in the middle of the night all wet all I have to do is pull the wet sheets off and there is a dry set waiting. It has made things a lot easier on me.

Thanks for the input ladies, I think I will stick the the super thick training undies for night. I love them, they absorb more then normal undies but they are still cloth so he feels it.

ardiaxe
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM
Quoting Mama-Jenny:

He stayed dry last night! I have been taking him potty before I go to bed and last night it paid off. Also when I make his bed I put a mattress pad and a sheet on it then over that another mattress pad and sheet so if he does wake up in the middle of the night all wet all I have to do is pull the wet sheets off and there is a dry set waiting. It has made things a lot easier on me.

Thanks for the input ladies, I think I will stick the the super thick training undies for night. I love them, they absorb more then normal undies but they are still cloth so he feels it.

Awesome! That's exactly what I did and it worked well. He will be night trained in no time, just stick with it and it will pay off.
pinkm143
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM

we did diapers at night for about a year after they were day potty trained.. I day trained them pretty early and wasn't wanting to deal with the messes at night.

ardiaxe
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Also, be sure his little potty is right next to his bed, and remind him that it's there every night.
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I put them in pull ups. My first son only ever had one accident once he went to undies. My second son had a few. Both asked to wear the underwear to bed (we offered a few times and then one day they asked).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)