Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS is doing great, but a couple of questions...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:04 AM
  • 3 Replies

DS seems to have no trouble using the potty / big toilet lately, which is great.  He fills up a whole sticker chart (with 20 sticker capacity) in less than 2 days.  

However, I've got a couple questions (sorry in advance that it's quite lengthy)

1) He doesn't exactly have "accidents" (i.e. puddles on the floor or soaked rug/couch) as much as he just has damp underwear and pants (I see a little dampness in his pants, but not enough to get anything else wet).  So I take him to the bathroom where he can finish the job, which he always does, and he gets a sticker, happy dance, praise, what have you, then he changes his clothes.  Lora Jensen who wrote the 3-day method mentioned that damp underwear isn't a bad thing, and it just shows that he's controlling his pee - but I really want him to get to the point of knowing on his own when to go pee pee without wetting his underwear, like he did last April & May before he regressed.  Sometimes he does just know when to go and stays dry.  In the meantime, do I just keep ignoring the damp pants as long as he gets the job done in the potty?

2) It took a while getting him back on track after he regressed.  But he did get back on track, but he wasn't as consistent as before.  I kept hearing great things about the bare bottom method, so we did that for a week and he did great! (zero accidents)  But there were days when he couldn't stand being bare bottomed, so then I just had him wearing shorts or pants (no underwear) and he did really awesome on that too (again, zero accidents).  Anyway, so now when we're out of the house, he just goes commando and does fine.  But do you think he's going backwards by going commando, especially since he trained with underwear before?  How long should I let him go commando (or bare bottomed) for, and how do I know that he's ready for briefs again? (oh, and I thought I'd look for boxers for him, but they're expensive compared to briefs - anyone know where I can get cheap boxers?)

Thanks in advance.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LovesFredric
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM

yay! he's doing great!!

I wouldn't worry about the damp underwear.  Just remind him to go to the bathroom right away.  My son did that for a week about a couple months after I considered him fully trained.  Eventually he got back to going to the potty right away.  Maybe they're getting too busy playing or something - but it's true, it's showing he has good control to stop it and finish in the potty!

Once he gets the hang of potty training really well, you could try introducing underwear again.  Maybe just buy boxers here and there - or sew some of your own?  Going to the bathroom correctly will eventually become second nature for him :) so I wouldn't worry about it too much!!

WTG!!!

Godspitgrl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM
1) maybe start only giving him a sticker for when his pants are damp see if that help

2) I don't think there is a problem with him going commando there are just some guys that do that.
bhwrn1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I agree with Amanda!

Quoting LovesFredric:

yay! he's doing great!!

I wouldn't worry about the damp underwear.  Just remind him to go to the bathroom right away.  My son did that for a week about a couple months after I considered him fully trained.  Eventually he got back to going to the potty right away.  Maybe they're getting too busy playing or something - but it's true, it's showing he has good control to stop it and finish in the potty!

Once he gets the hang of potty training really well, you could try introducing underwear again.  Maybe just buy boxers here and there - or sew some of your own?  Going to the bathroom correctly will eventually become second nature for him :) so I wouldn't worry about it too much!!

WTG!!!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

β€œMeditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)