Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

please help...

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm new to this group. My name is Jeanne and I have a daughter that will be 2 in September. Anyway, I'm trying to potty train her, but, I'm having problems because of the past.

Ever since Aliyah was born, I've been hard on her... too much stress of daddy bieng locked up, bad timing, and bieng forced to be a single mom. She yells at me now, she hits things, screams... typical toddler, I think...

But, my problem with potty training is that I'm so desperate to get her to use the potty that I've basically been forcing her to sit on it... she hasn't peed in it yet, and now she's at the point where she just screams and closes the lid when I give up. I don't know what to do... I'm so stressed out I feel like crying... EVERYDAY... I feel so alone... nobody to help me, nobody to turn to...

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks...

Jeanne

by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PEEK05
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

You shouldn't force her on the potty. That can and will delay potty training.

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Welcome Jeanne! So sorry about your hard time.

Has she shown any signs of wanting to potty train? What kinds of rewards can you offer her?

Do you have a stand alone potty or do you use the regular toilet?

RamonsWife
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

Has she shown any signs of wanting to potty train? What kinds of rewards can you offer her?

Today I started offering her treats, like snacks or toys... I need to get a chart with stickers I think.

And she has a stand alone potty... it's a 3 in 1... potty, step stool and the seat comes off and fits onto the regular toilet.

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Perfect! Put the potty where she spends the most time. Set a timer and have her go every 30 minutes, whether she has to or not. You control that and tell her to go, don't ask. Also, you could keep her bare bum or in underwear during this time.

Quoting RamonsWife:

Quoting bhwrn1:

Today I started offering her treats, like snacks or toys... I need to get a chart with stickers I think.

And she has a stand alone potty... it's a 3 in 1... potty, step stool and the seat comes off and fits onto the regular toilet.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

RamonsWife
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Quoting bhwrn1:

Perfect! Put the potty where she spends the most time. Set a timer and have her go every 30 minutes, whether she has to or not. You control that and tell her to go, don't ask. Also, you could keep her bare bum or in underwear during this time.

Thanks! Thats a good idea! Now, what do I do about the babysitter? I work 8:30 to 5 Monday through Friday and Tuesdays & Thursday I have class from 5:30 to 8. So, she spends a lot of time at the sitters... should I invest in a second potty and have the babysitter do the same thing?

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM

You might want to do that. Maybe you can find one cheap? Or you could try a ring for the sitter's toilet and see if that works for her.

ladsmom
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM

First of all relax.  My son will also be 2 in September.  He has been using the potty for quite sometime but is nowhere near potty trained.  He will use the potty about 50% of the time.  He pees more than anything I've ever seen.  She is still really young.  Don't force her to sit on the potty. My daughter would not even go near the potty at 2. It is not something that happens over night.  The concept of rewards is very hard for a 2 year old to grasp.  I do a lot of positive reinforcement with my son because at 2 they are eager to please.  I really thought that my son would be in underpants full time by now because he has been peeing and pooping in the potty for several months but I am realizing that he still doesn't have total control and accidents will happen. Just let her get comfortable with the potty and don't get upset it will just make it harder on you both. Relax............

RamonsWife
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Just an update everyone...

first, thanks for all of your advise!!

Second, Miss Aliyah is completely potty-trained now, at 2 1/2! I'm still in shock at it sometimes, because we'll go on trips, (ie. grocery story) where there isn't always a bathroom readily available, and she'll hold it until we get home!  It's amazing! I'm so proud of her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)