Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED HIM TO USE THE POTTY, AND I NEED HIM TO DO IT NOW.......

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

MY SON IS 2YRS AND 7MNTHS, I HAVE BEEN TRING TO POTTY TRAIN HIM SINCE HE TURNED 2. IT STARTED OFF GOOD HE WOULD GO AT LEASE ONCE A DAY. HOWEVER, NOW HE SAYS HE HAS TO GO BUT THE PROBLEM IS HE HAS AREADY USED IT IN HIS PULL UP. I TRIED PUTTING HIM ON BIG BOY UNDIES BUT THAT IS NOT WORKING EITHER SO IF ANYBODY GOT SUGGESTIONS IM OPEN.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NESmith63
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I was seriously in your spot like 4 months ago. DD would go sometimes but never regularly. I was so frusterated and nothing worked. So I stopped trying for about a month, and then I went to the store and bought her every pair of character undies they had that she would like. I got a bright pink peice of poster board and drew a chart with boxes 1-40. I circled numbers 10,20,30&40. I also bought super fun stickers. I hung it on the back of the bathroom door. I showed it to her and said everytime she went potty she could put a sticker on it. When she got to a circled number she would get a special treat. When she got to 40 she would get a super special treat. Then I showed her the undies. She was super excited the first time she got stickers. Within 3 days she was almost fully trained, only wearing a pull up at naps and bedtime. She filled up the chart to 20 pretty fast so I let it die down and only did 1 sticker per day. Then we went down to only getting stickers when she pooped on the potty. After awhile she went completely backwards for about a week she didn't use the potty hardly at all. I took down her potty chart and that upset her but I explained that she could earn it back. Eventually she did and she just filled in the last 2 stickers. She is so proud of herself.

Sorry for the novel...but basically find something that works for you and stick with it. Most of all don't push or get frusterated (I know it's hard.....trust me!) but you can't force them. I was convinced my dd would not be potty trained by 3.....well she turned 3 last Monday and she has not had a accident in over a week now.....including at night. :-) good luck mama!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniferlee_12
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:55 AM

That is awesome! Also you could take the pull ups completely away from him (except naps and bed) and do bare bottom or just pants. Underwear sometimes make them think they still have a pull up on. Good luck.

Quoting NESmith63:

I was seriously in your spot like 4 months ago. DD would go sometimes but never regularly. I was so frusterated and nothing worked. So I stopped trying for about a month, and then I went to the store and bought her every pair of character undies they had that she would like. I got a bright pink peice of poster board and drew a chart with boxes 1-40. I circled numbers 10,20,30&40. I also bought super fun stickers. I hung it on the back of the bathroom door. I showed it to her and said everytime she went potty she could put a sticker on it. When she got to a circled number she would get a special treat. When she got to 40 she would get a super special treat. Then I showed her the undies. She was super excited the first time she got stickers. Within 3 days she was almost fully trained, only wearing a pull up at naps and bedtime. She filled up the chart to 20 pretty fast so I let it die down and only did 1 sticker per day. Then we went down to only getting stickers when she pooped on the potty. After awhile she went completely backwards for about a week she didn't use the potty hardly at all. I took down her potty chart and that upset her but I explained that she could earn it back. Eventually she did and she just filled in the last 2 stickers. She is so proud of herself.

Sorry for the novel...but basically find something that works for you and stick with it. Most of all don't push or get frusterated (I know it's hard.....trust me!) but you can't force them. I was convinced my dd would not be potty trained by 3.....well she turned 3 last Monday and she has not had a accident in over a week now.....including at night. :-) good luck mama!!!

paradise924
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM
He's still very young. I would give it some time.
Mama2MonkeyBoys
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I would try the 3 day method. It worked beautifully for DS2, we didn't know about it for DS1. It was actually a really fun 3 days, lol.

Dlynn777
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM

That is still young and a lot of times it doesn't really happen until they are around 3 or so. The bare bottom method does work though. Good luck!!

abra
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM
It just takes longer for some kids. I find waiting until they are 3 years old to be the least stressful for everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huskermom98
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Going bare bottom helped with me for my youngest...going pee at least.

3lilmonkeysxo
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Good luck!

LovesFredric
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

this is what we did too

Quoting huskermom98:

Going bare bottom helped with me for my youngest...going pee at least.

mommykc
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Whats the 3 day potty training?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)