Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

How do you choose which hospital

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
I need advice
So there are three good, newer, and such hospitals in my area to deliver at. Seeing as I am not seeing a dr assigned to a said hospital how do I go about choosing which one to go to? I have been told one of them is not so friendly when it comes to natural birth and that's the one I was planning on going to so its making me rethink. The other two I don't really know much about. I went to the L&D of one once while I was pregnant with Heo cause I feel so I know what they look like (though I think they all kind of look the same, lol) but thats about it. So any advice would be great.
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
abra
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I would visit all 3, ask a lot of questions of the person giving you the tour and ask friends who have delivered at them what their opinion was. There are only 2 hospitals in my area, and they are both fantastic, but one of them the nurses are a lot more friendly at. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM
So I found this and just two years ago (I have not found last year) the c-section rate of all the hospitals are 38% or more.
http://www.cesareanrates.com/tennessee-cesarean-rates/
Baptist Memorial Hospital for Women 40.2%
Methodist Healthcare - Germantown 40.7%
St Francis -Bartlett 38.3%
jenniferlee_12
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I think you need to check out their websites and stats (looks like you have) and either call them and ask them anything that you want to know or visit each one. Also maybe find some people that have had babies at each hospital and ask for their feedback. How much time do you have again?

MakisMama
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Since your doctor does not have rights at any of the three, could you ask him/her? Your doctor may have an impartial opinion because he/she is not affiliated with any of the 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilmonkeysxo
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM

My doctor only delivered out of one hospital - which was the only hospital in the area anyway.  I would have chosen that hospital anyway - great birthing center & my hubby works at that hospital!

LovesFredric
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I went to the one that was the closest...and my midwife delivered at...but I already knew I would be comfortable there & they were the only hospital allowing water births

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Quoting jenniferlee_12:

I think you need to check out their websites and stats (looks like you have) and either call them and ask them anything that you want to know or visit each one. Also maybe find some people that have had babies at each hospital and ask for their feedback. How much time do you have again?

I'm 36 weeks and 2 days so about 4-6 weeks (I'm always right at my due date or past it)
sweetpeama
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting Godspitgrl:

So I found this and just two years ago (I have not found last year) the c-section rate of all the hospitals are 38% or more.
http://www.cesareanrates.com/tennessee-cesarean-rates/
Baptist Memorial Hospital for Women 40.2%
Methodist Healthcare - Germantown 40.7%
St Francis -Bartlett 38.3%

c-section rates are always about 15 months late. The most recent rates anywhere you are going to find are going to be for 2010. It takes them a year to compile the information and then about 2-3 months to get it published.

I would go back and look at 2007-2009 rates as well to see if any of them are climbing rapidly from year to year as that means they are getting more agressive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN