Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Help, my 3yr old wont tell me when he has to pee.

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
  • 26 Replies

I have  been potty training my son for about a year off and on.  He turned 3 in January and I have been religously training him since, every day/night.  He doesn't fight me when I take him in, but he wont tell me when he has to go.  I have tried everything to get him to tell me, stickers, tattoo's match box cars, M & M's, but he wont tell me.  He poops in the potty only only because 95% of the time he goes at night before his bath so that's pretty much a schedual, but I can't get him to tell me that he has to pee, he wears underwear during the day, I figured if he pee'd himself he woudlnt like the feel of his since he's already a neat freak...lol.  Evidetnly that isn't working, he will pee himself and then tell me he has to go.  If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to give me an advice!  I talk to his Pedi about it and she told me to just let him run around with no pants and underwear, I just can't do that, my son has never walked around with out pants on, I am one of those type of moms that can't stand her child walking around the house half naked...lol.  So once again, if anyone has any advice for me, please chime in.

Thank you,

Maria

Mom to Domenic James ( DJ) 01/29/09

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenniferlee_12
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him go completely naked then! LOL just kidding. Maybe get him a potty watch that reminds him to go so you don't have to remind him.

djsmommy129
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM

LOL, Ya the naked thing wouldnt work...lmfao.  I really think he can't feel the urge, he should have been trained bye now.  That's a good idea, I will consider that, thank you!  

Maria

meganandrjsmom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

My son is turning 3 in a couple days and I am having similar issues. He will not tell me when he has to go and generally does not fight me when I take him to the potty. He is in daycare and sees the other children go but shows no interest what-so-ever. I have tried fun undies, stickers, new toys, treats (not doggie ones, lol), he just does not have an interest. I tried the naked thing for a couple of weekends and he would hold his pee literally all day. I am at a loss.

djsmommy129
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Megan, honestly I feel better knowing that Im not alone.  It's been real hard, just like yourself, I've tried it all.  Only thing I can think of is maybe they aren't ready, but it's also discouraging when alot of kids his age are already trained, or get trained it a matter of a couple days to a couple of weeks, I have been working my butt off trying to get him to tell me.  Yesterday was a prime example, I was claning the kitching and he comes running with his "monkey walk"..lol ( he usually does that when he pees himself, he calls named it the monkey walk ) so I said did you pee yourself he said a little, ok, so I took him to the potty and he only dripped a little finished the rest in the potty, I was actually impressed that he stopped himself, then 15 min later he did it again, but this time totallay soaked and laughing about it.  I know we aren't suppose to yell, but I just got so frustrated that I yelled at him.

Poed0216
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Same scenario here. DS will be 3 July 24 and the potty training has come to a screeching halt since I had DS#2 in December.
He pees in the underwear and then says " mommy I have to potty" or some dsys he says " no potty, i want to wear diapers like my baby brother" I'm beyond frustrated!
Going to wait a few weeks and then do the 3 day training.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
djsmommy129
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Poe, I think yours is cuz there is another child involved, he says that your changing his diaper and maybe paying more attention since he's a baby and your 3yr old is jelous in some cases.  I say to my lil man, you want diapers like a baby, he says no, Im a big boy and cries cuz he doesn't want diapers.  Im sure we will get them trained eventually it's just very frustrating for us right now!!!

bbygourl27
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting meganandrjsmom:

My son is turning 3 in a couple days and I am having similar issues. He will not tell me when he has to go and generally does not fight me when I take him to the potty. He is in daycare and sees the other children go but shows no interest what-so-ever. I have tried fun undies, stickers, new toys, treats (not doggie ones, lol), he just does not have an interest. I tried the naked thing for a couple of weekends and he would hold his pee literally all day. I am at a loss.

his is totally me right now!!! Almost, 3, daycare, and everything!!! He goes 5 times a day at daycare, but wont tell me he has to go here. I really dont get it. I am sooo frustrated. The only thing that really gets him excited is I throw in the potty a cheerio and tell him to aim his pee at the cheerio in the toilet...but he still will not tell us before he has to go...WHAT DO I DO

djsmommy129
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I don't get it either, it's very frustrating, I am at the point where Im starting to think he has a bladder problem, Im sure he doesn't, but I really don't think he knows the feeling, regardless how long I have been training him.  I actually took advice from a site and I've implemented a timer, so when he here's the alrarm go off, he knows it's potty time.  I started that yesterday and it worked great, but he never really gives me an issue when I take him.  I've said this time and again, he needs to tell me when he has to go potty.  I also take care of my parents who are elderly and sick,last night I ran upstairs to get my mom ready for bed and my son was with my husand, right before I left he alarm went off, he ran, did potty, then my husband took him about 45 min after that, he pee'd in the potty, then 15 min later he was sitting on my husbands lap and pee'd, of course my husband got upset, first off cuz he didn't tell him and second cuz he soaked my husbands leg.  I came down stairs and my son sayd Mama, I pee'd on daddy, so I asked why, his answer is because pee pee and caca belong in the potty, I can't get a straight answer.  He wears underwear all day and pull ups at night ( my son, not my husband...lol )   LIke I said before I have been training him for a year, but religously for the last 4 months straight!!!!  Running out of Ideas and patience!!!

djsmommy129
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Sorry for all the typos!!!!

Maria

MaryMom512
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Same boat here. My son is 3.5 and shows no interest in doing it himself. Most of the time he will go if I ask him and insist. Often he rebels and yells "no, I don't want to!" when I bring up the potty. If we put him in underwear, he'll pee himself and then laugh (really makes me mad). I keep him in pull-ups most of the time, and he'll stay dry for hours- but then fight me if I ask him to go to the potty. So fusterated! I guess I just have to wait and hope that one day he will want to be responsible for his own urges to go to the bathroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN