Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Help, my 3yr old wont tell me when he has to pee.

Posted by   + Show Post

I have  been potty training my son for about a year off and on.  He turned 3 in January and I have been religously training him since, every day/night.  He doesn't fight me when I take him in, but he wont tell me when he has to go.  I have tried everything to get him to tell me, stickers, tattoo's match box cars, M & M's, but he wont tell me.  He poops in the potty only only because 95% of the time he goes at night before his bath so that's pretty much a schedual, but I can't get him to tell me that he has to pee, he wears underwear during the day, I figured if he pee'd himself he woudlnt like the feel of his since he's already a neat freak...lol.  Evidetnly that isn't working, he will pee himself and then tell me he has to go.  If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to give me an advice!  I talk to his Pedi about it and she told me to just let him run around with no pants and underwear, I just can't do that, my son has never walked around with out pants on, I am one of those type of moms that can't stand her child walking around the house half naked...lol.  So once again, if anyone has any advice for me, please chime in.

Thank you,

Maria

Mom to Domenic James ( DJ) 01/29/09

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (21-26):
rockinmomnwife
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

MY son is the same way and it is getting too cold to let him go diaperless plus we can not do that in public!

Quoting LuvAZmomma:

My son is the same way the only time I can get him to tell me is when we do naked potty training. But as soon as the clothes go back on he pees in them. It is frustrating beyond belief because I know that he understands when he needs to go. We have been potty training for about a year and when we first started he would tell me he needed to go and he just stopped telling me. He completly regressed. So now I am trying to potty train my almost 3 year old STILL and starting to potty train my 16 month old.

meghanfrost
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I just googled the exact same question and it gave me your post! Im as frustrated as you ! My son turned 3 in January and we started this process when he was 2 1/2. He is great at going when we take him  but only tells us after he pees hisself. Just like your son he is in underwear all day and still wont tell us. I swear he just doesnt feel the sensation until the pee is already coming out:( Im at a loss and have tried everything. I hope we can come up with a answer soon cause this Mama is Exhausted!

meghanfrost
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

sorry just realized this post was from April of 2012...... Did you ever come up with a solution?

Naturistsa
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I have learnt and read from various sites that a child, boy or girl will potty train when they are ready and not before. My son was just over two when i started potty training him while on a vacation camping trip. He took to it quite easy. Never had a problem with him not telling me. The only time he had slip-ups was when he was so busy playing and just wet himself. If i can give some advice, when your son goes to the potty, even when you make him go, encourage him. From a young age i used the words ai ai ai ( meaning beautiful or nice - for example after bathing him and combing his hair i would hold him in front of the mirror and say ai ai ai) he enjoyed it and was proud of himself that he looked nice or beautiful in yhe mirror. When he was dirty i would show him himself in the mirror and pull ugly faces and make funny noises meaning that he was not looking so good. So when i started the potty training, and he would use it i also said ai ai ai to him. This worked on him, by 2 an a 1/2 years he was trained for the day time. Best of luck to all moms struggling with it. Just never loose your cool, as it wont help, it will only make things worse.
BabyByX3
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I so feel your pain ladies but I also feel a little better knowing I am not alone.  Thank you for that! My daughter will be 3 1/2 on Nov 1, 2013 and is doing exactly the same thing.....in panties all day, pull-up at night, will go on the potty no problem when I ask her to, will sometimes tell me when she has to poop, will not tell me when she has to pee unless she has already wet her pants.  We took her out of diapers and put her right into panties when she was 2 1/2. So we have been working with her steadily for almost a year!! She tells us she doesn't want to be in diapers and immediately wants to be changed if she pee's or poop's in her pants. We have tried keeping her naked from the waist down, she just pee's on the floor. Like some of you mentioned, I don't think she feels the urge to pee either. However she has been telling us when she has to poop lately.  Our pediatrician tested her for infections or blockage and everything is good.  He also reassured us that we are doing it right (keep her in panties and keep up the encouragement).  I agree that all of our children will do it when they're ready but I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. I'm exhausted lol I thought having an older sister 7 and older brother 9, she would catch on to potty training that much quicker.....hang in there ladies and best of luck.

jenni123
Skylar loves School. as soon as he get's off the bus in the afternoon till the time the bus picks him up the next morning all i hear is "school, bus, back school, bus late..." hope he remains to love school as he gets older. i myself hated school till my 11th grade in High school.
Yesterday at 1:24 PM
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:47 AM

with skylar i watched to see what he liked the most and then moved durring potty training to my in-laws house when i discovered that my son liked spongebob. so my mother in law bought him a spongebob toylet seat cover and now every time he has to potty at all he says "bob bob" indicating that he wants to go visit spongebob for potty time. he is now fully potty trained during the day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)