Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Just thought I would let everyone know about our success! Don't give up mamas!!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 4:44 PM
  • 3 Replies

Valerie started potty training last week and after FIVE days she's been doing awesome.  It was SOOO frustrating at first when I felt like I was house training a dog rather then potty training a child. lol But this time I kept at it and it's been worth it!  Valerie is on her 4th day with NO accidents and I'm so proud of her.  We have even gone to the doctors the other morning and she came home dry and we were out and about all morning this morning and didn't get home until this afternoon and she came home dry.  We kept asking her if she needed to go potty and once she said yes while we were driving.  We pulled over, had her sit in the back of our SUV on the potty chair with the top flap open and a blanket over her lap so she wouldn't get cold and still had privacy and she didn't go. But it was a start!  She's doing so awesome and I'm very proud of her!! 

So mommies, KEEP GOING if you're thinking about giving up.  Like I said, it was hard in the beginning and I did cheat a little with continuing to put pull-ups on her at night and just called them her big girl panties and her regular underwear are her big girl underwear.  She's been waking up dry from her naps and bedtime since the second day.  Just make sure you stop their drinks 2-3 hours before bedtime and have them go before bed and naptime!  Good luck and I wish you guys the success I had.  It wasn't 3 days, but I'm still happy she did it in 5!!  :) 

pregnant

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Crystal Smith                                                                                      Marketing Executive                                                                               Helping YOU WORK FROM a healthy HOME!!  www.enhancinglivesfromhome.com  

by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
leckert
by on Oct. 4, 2008 at 7:25 AM

That's great! I wish my 32 month old daughter would do that. Last Friday when we were getting ready for day care she said she wanted to wear her big girl undies so I figured why not try. I dropped her off at 7:30 and when I picked her up at 3:30, she was still dry! The problem was that she hadn't gone to the bathroom all day!! She had sat on the potty, but just wouldn't go. At that point, she was in pain. Shortly after I walked in she had an accident, then when I changed her she had another one. At that point she was so embarrassed about having an accident in front of her friends that she would not put underwear back on and insisted on getting a diaper on. The problem is that since then she goes most of the day without going to the bathroom at all. I've decided to back off because I don't want her to have problems since she isn't going to the bathroom at all all day at day care. Any suggestions?

lovinlife0607
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Ya know what, Valerie does this too sometimes.  She gets cut from her drinks at 6:30-7:00 the night before though and usually my hubby doesn't give her a drink in the morning "since she doesn't ask for one" so she usually doesn't go until later in the afternoon.  We have run errands in the morning and going into the afternoon and she comes home dry and says she doesn't have to use the potty.  But when we go home I ask her and she says yes and I put her on and she goes potty.  She use to wear pull ups and in the beginning I would still put them on her at night but I called them her " big girl panties" and her regular undies where her "big girl underwear" and she does great.  She doesn't use the pull up as a diaper anymore and wakes up dry.  Maybe get her to drink more fluids like the 3 day method suggests so that she can't hold it and has to go.  I know it's SOOO frustrating in the beginning but it's well worth it (cleaning up after her accidents)  I think it's a great thing that she was embarrassed.  I'm not sure if you read the 3 day method or even which one.. .but in the beginning it tells you to have your little one throw away the diapers/pull ups and say yucky and encourage her to be a big girl.  She doesn't have that chance to ask for a diaper since there are no more.  Just tell  her she's a big girl and doesn't need the diaper/pull ups and she can use the potty like mommy.  Personally I waited until Valerie had about 3 pull ups left before I had her "throw them away" and just hide them under the bathroom sink when she wasn't looking and used a different word for them at night.  That way I wasn't wasting any money. lol (btw, when we threw the pull ups away it was a clean trash bag and I put her pull ups in a walmart bag and threw them out so they were fine)  :) So just get her to drink lots more fluids and tell her it's okay to use the potty and tell her to tell mommy (or caregiver) that she has to go potty when she feels like she has to pee.  And just ask her once in a while if she needs to use the potty. 

I hope this helps!  Good luck!!  :)  Try taking a few days off of work (I know that's definitely not an option for some nowadays) but it's worth it if u want ur LO to be potty trained!!  :)

pregnant

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Crystal Smith                                                                                      Marketing Executive                                                                               Helping YOU WORK FROM a healthy HOME!!  www.enhancinglivesfromhome.com  

leckert
by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 5:16 PM

She drank a ton that day and still was able to hold it. Her day care providers gave her extra fluids to get her to go to the bathroom, but she still wouldn't. I'm probably going to do as you suggested and wait until we're almost out of diapers/ pull ups before I try again. Unfortunately, when I had coupons, I purchased them so I'm stocked up.  I just don't want her to have issues because of not going to the bathroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)