Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

New to group and excited!

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi everyone, 

I just joined the group today. I planned on starting to potty train my dd when she turns about 17 or 18 months, but now I've decided to start sooner. She's 14 months old and went pee-pee in the potty today! I'm so excited and proud of her. I figured I'd just start putting her on her little potty anytime I went so she would get used to the idea. The first time I put her on it, she went! YAY! I'm going out of town Sunday and Monday so when I get back I'm planning to try the 3 day method. I guess there are different ones?? Which one is best for a 14 month old girl? Thanks for your support and opinions!

by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DayDaysmom19
by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 8:47 PM
Anybody have any suggestions?
DayDaysmom19
by on Nov. 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM

I thought this was a support group : (

leckert
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Just don't push too hard. The main thing is to put her in underwear or naked, whichever way she does best. When she starts to go, you pick her up and run to the potty to finish.  Also, every 15 minutes or so, ask if she has to go potty. Make sure not to get mad when she has accidents though. My husband did once and that completely threw things off. I've also heard to have them clean their own messes up. That kind of depends on where she goes. I mean you're obviously going to need to use chemicals and you don't want her around them. Just know that it takes some kids longer than others. My daughter got extremely embarrassed when she would have an accident at the beginning and starting saying that her underwear hurt her. I put it off for a week or two and then went back and she was fine. They say with the 3 day method to not even use diapers at nap or night time. To me that depends on you. I work so I can't really be getting up every couple of hours at night to get her up and have her go potty. I never did put them on at nap time, but still do at night time. I think over either Thanksgiving or Christmas break, when I have more than just a weekend off, I will go to the night time thing. My husband forgot one night to put the diaper on when she went to bed and she woke up at 4 am and would not go back to bed- wasn't a good day for mom or daughter:)

kerijeanbean
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 9:26 AM

I don't think there is a type of potty that is best for a girl.  You could take her to Walmart and let her pick one out.  That might work better.  Then it is her special potty.  Good luck with the training.

Keri
Mom to
Chris 3/27/2000
Blaine 12/15/2005

DayDaysmom19
by on Nov. 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM

I still have the potty that my son and other daughter used. I'm thinking about getting another one for the other bathroom though. I don't know if she's really old enough to choose one that she likes. I guess I could give it a try. I was really asking about what 3 day method is best to use for a 14 month old girl. But thanks for the suggestion : )

Quoting kerijeanbean:

I don't think there is a type of potty that is best for a girl.  You could take her to Walmart and let her pick one out.  That might work better.  Then it is her special potty.  Good luck with the training.

DayDaysmom19
by on Nov. 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Thanks. I have wood floors so the messes won't be too bad. My real problem is finding 3 days in a row that I home all day!! I think I'll leave her in daipers at night until she can get up and go by herself. She's still in a crib now so that wouldn't work right now anyway. She's a smart cookie so I think she'll catch on pretty fast. Thanks for the suggestions!

BTW, she'll probably have to go naked. I really doubt I'll be able to find panties small enough for her, she's tiny : )

Quoting leckert:

Just don't push too hard. The main thing is to put her in underwear or naked, whichever way she does best. When she starts to go, you pick her up and run to the potty to finish.  Also, every 15 minutes or so, ask if she has to go potty. Make sure not to get mad when she has accidents though. My husband did once and that completely threw things off. I've also heard to have them clean their own messes up. That kind of depends on where she goes. I mean you're obviously going to need to use chemicals and you don't want her around them. Just know that it takes some kids longer than others. My daughter got extremely embarrassed when she would have an accident at the beginning and starting saying that her underwear hurt her. I put it off for a week or two and then went back and she was fine. They say with the 3 day method to not even use diapers at nap or night time. To me that depends on you. I work so I can't really be getting up every couple of hours at night to get her up and have her go potty. I never did put them on at nap time, but still do at night time. I think over either Thanksgiving or Christmas break, when I have more than just a weekend off, I will go to the night time thing. My husband forgot one night to put the diaper on when she went to bed and she woke up at 4 am and would not go back to bed- wasn't a good day for mom or daughter:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)