Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Potty training TWINS I need help!!

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:55 AM
  • 5 Replies

I would really like any tips about training a boy and girl they just turned two and I;m just at a loss please tell me all you can!

by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MyHappyKids
by on Nov. 13, 2008 at 3:23 AM

I am sorry you havent had any replies. Have you noticed your twins being interested in the potty? Read some of the articles posted at the top of the page and check out the things to look for.  Just my opinion since you are training B/G twins I would get 2 potties that match(dont want fighting) and I would train son as well as daughter to sit down on the potty to pee.I say this as otherwise they may get confused and wonder why they are doing it different.I trained my youngest boy to sit down on my husbands suggestion.He said it was so much easiet to start that way as it takes most of them a while to learn to aim.And it was a great help.Just an idea for you. I would do all the usual stuff take them with you every time you go to the potty. I like pullups for lack of mess but others say no way too much like diapers,and prefer training pants just use whichever works for you.I wouldnt want to wash dbl the clothes for accidents tho-LOL  Just hang in there,try to keep a routine and keep us posted!

twinzmum
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this group. I started potty training (kind of like the 3-day-method) 2 days ago with my twins - a boy and a girl. They definitely know what the potty is for. I have been putting my daughter on it since about 15 months old (she's now 25mo old), and she's done very well. In the last 2 months she even started to tell me sometimes when she needed to go poop, and then we'd sit and she'd do it. We praised a lot!!! Over the last two days she learned to go every time - both for pee & poop. The first day she had no poop accidents but numerous pee accidents, the second day only 2 accidents and today - none!!! Candy and stickers were involved of course to speed up the process (I only have 10 days off work to get this done).

My son, however, is a different story. He was never interested to sit on the potty (we never forced, only praised when done). In the last 2 months his interest went up just because he understood that his sister gets a lot of attention when she goes poop on the potty, so he started to say 'poo-poo'. At first it was just a word, then in the last week or so it notified me that he has already gone poop in the diaper. I thought this means he is more or less ready to go through the process with his sister... As I said we are on day 3, and his sister is potty trained (we only put diapers at night), but he is a stubborn little man and started to refuse tpo sit on the potty at all. In fact when he even sees the potty he starts saying 'no-no'. Every time I put on big boy pants on him after managing to have him sit on the potty for a couple of minutes, he peed almost immediately (he also pooped once in his big-boy pants), so today I decided to keep him naked and see what happens. He's a very smart boy, and I was impressed that he figured out that when he drinks he pees, so he refused pretty much all drink this morning (after his morning milk). We did sit on the potty with a book for at least 10 minutes, but he only let a couple of drops out and wanted off. I let him off and followed him around with the intention of putting him back on the potty as soon as I  him start to pee (and he danced around for nearly 2 hrs ,literally,because he had to go, but did not want to sit on the potty;LOL). They are napping now, but we'll see what happens this afternoon and tomorrow. At least I learned that he is in fact capable of holding his pee. I think that is encouraging. Now we just have to see who wins  this battle. Since I have nothing to loose but the diapes, I think it will be me.

I don't know how far along you are, but don't stop. If you have decided that you'll leave the diapers behind, do it! Let them know that the potty is their only option, and work with them on individual level to achieve sucess. This really is like anything else you've thought them so far. I think parents just have a greater anxsiety about it. Good luck!

mommacan
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Training one child is hard, training two at the same time can seem impossible. I have seen a lot of experts recommend splitting up the training process and train one and then the other 1-2 weeks apart. by  training them separately it allows you to closely watch that twin and catch them in the act every time. I may also be helpful to send the other twin to grandma's house (etc) for a couple days so your potty training twin has all your attention.  Just a thought/ Suggestion :)

twinzmum
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

I would have to respectfully disagree with 'mommacan' on the splitting thing since we are talking about twins. I find that they don't do well separated - they keep looking for each other and ignore pretty much everything else. Plus, why not use the abilities of one twin to try and draw the other one in. I do it all the time! I think only if both children seem to be at the same readiness level, then it may be useful to do the split up (just to cut down on the work a bit), if you have that option (our closest relatives are several states away, and some are in Europe altogether). However, in my experience with twins it is never the case - one is almost always behind (my reference being boys to girl twins, of course)

Now, in case that one is already ahead (kinda like my daughter is - and girls usually are), then I think it is best to try and do both at the same time. Just sort of concentrate on the 'better' one, using her/him as an example. Be prepared for many accidents with the other one, but just keep saying "next time let's try and keep the big boy /girl pants dry. When you need to pee-pee, run to the potty like (insert the other child's name here) and pee-pee there". At this age (two) they so want to copy each other, that chances are the one that's lacking will follow. Especially if treats are involved.

Just for update: My daughter did not have any accidents today. And, since I made it a point not to remind her about the potty, she was the one asking me to go on the potty - I think she's pretty done!!!! We'll try a short trip out tomorrow (depending on how my son does in the morning), to see what happens. My son did hold his pee for two hours this afternoon (despite the amount of water he drank), but he finally broke down and peed in the potty before dinner (since that was his only option). We did a song and a dance and a TREATso the experience stays memorable for tomorrow, but only time will tell if it has worked.

mommacan
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 1:25 PM

You definitely, with out a doubt know a TON more about twins that I do that is for SURE!!! :) My post was definitely only a suggestion...like if nothing else is working kind of thing.

I know that on John AND KATE plus 8 she did the three girls first than when they were potty trained she did the boys. Maybe that's because she has 6 to train...UGH!

I am so excited your little girl is doing so good!!!!!

Quoting twinzmum:

I would have to respectfully disagree with 'mommacan' on the splitting thing since we are talking about twins. I find that they don't do well separated - they keep looking for each other and ignore pretty much everything else. Plus, why not use the abilities of one twin to try and draw the other one in. I do it all the time! I think only if both children seem to be at the same readiness level, then it may be useful to do the split up (just to cut down on the work a bit), if you have that option (our closest relatives are several states away, and some are in Europe altogether). However, in my experience with twins it is never the case - one is almost always behind (my reference being boys to girl twins, of course)

Now, in case that one is already ahead (kinda like my daughter is - and girls usually are), then I think it is best to try and do both at the same time. Just sort of concentrate on the 'better' one, using her/him as an example. Be prepared for many accidents with the other one, but just keep saying "next time let's try and keep the big boy /girl pants dry. When you need to pee-pee, run to the potty like (insert the other child's name here) and pee-pee there". At this age (two) they so want to copy each other, that chances are the one that's lacking will follow. Especially if treats are involved.

Just for update: My daughter did not have any accidents today. And, since I made it a point not to remind her about the potty, she was the one asking me to go on the potty - I think she's pretty done!!!! We'll try a short trip out tomorrow (depending on how my son does in the morning), to see what happens. My son did hold his pee for two hours this afternoon (despite the amount of water he drank), but he finally broke down and peed in the potty before dinner (since that was his only option). We did a song and a dance and a TREATso the experience stays memorable for tomorrow, but only time will tell if it has worked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)