Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Update on potty training Granddaughter

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM
  • 2 Replies

Well,guys I joined the group a while back,read all the post and just couldnt find the time to have 3 days at home.I keep my Granddaughter while my daughter works.We moved into this house in May and I decided that I would put her a little potty for her in the downstairs bathroom.This was before I found the 3 day group. I showed it to her,told her what it was for and showed her how you got to flush the handle when you pottied and a song would play.She was indifferent but she was only 2 yrs and 4 mos. so I wasnt worried. She follows me everywhere and always goed to the bathroom with me.She began just sitting on her little potty lid while I went potty. About a month ago I found this group but wasnt sure I had 3 straight days as I still have 2 of my 5 children at home and busy with school and sports and such.So I figured I would wait for a long weekend. As it turns out she is the one that started all of this.After watching me for months she finally opened the potty lid and sat with diaper and clothes on the potty.I said wow just like me but your potty is your size.Again I didnt think much about it.She then started bringing me her diaper off of her saying I peed(would not have been my choice for her but she chose it)I said awesome and then wiped her up with baby wipes.This went on a bit as well then she would bring me the wet diaper and I would tell her to throw it away and she would say ok I need a baby wipe.This wa sall just natural progression but pretty quick progression.Well,about 2 weeks ago she followed me to the potty and took off her diaper and sat down with her pants at her ankles and said I go pee like you.I was like ok.She didnt go but she def had the idea.next thing I know she is running to the potty saying I gotta pee!! and thats how it's been.At first I left her in a shirt as she wasnt making it getting the pants down and this improved her accidents 90% .Now we have to go out several times a day as she goes to 3 morning 1/2 day preschool so I got her pull ups.She is about 50% on going at preschool now with the pullup.She wears a diaper at nap and at bedtime. She has woke up some times wet sometimes not.I am not stressing. She now wears big girl panties and pants in the house(the weather has gotten cooler) and when we go out to pick up her uncle after school,her sunt after sports practice,to wal-mart etc she wears he pull-up.She was mostly using them and that was ok as when we come in we take them off immediately and head to the potty to "try".Well,Friday at her Uncles school there was a fall festival and she couldnt go to the potty as the line was too long-yes she asked!!!!! so I told her we were stuck and she said ok I use my pullup she did and then said change me! I was so thrilled but tried to be cool.Well,after the festival her aunt had Basketball practice and we decided to stay to watch and at one point she went up to a girl my sons age(10)who loves to play with her and told her she had to go potty so she took off with her and I headed after them.She went on the potty in the locker room.I was shocked and so proud.She was just glad not to wet her pull up but the big thing was this was the first time not on her little potty.Yes,she has pooped in the little potty too but she doesnt like it,but she does it 90% of the time. She has been out and pooped in her pullup but I think all in all we are doing great.Not 3 days but steady progress at her pace. Today she got new Princess underwear and wanted to wear them so much.She was so excited she had 2 accidents within 30 minutes.No worries on the 3 pair she was playing in her room and ran out saying gotta go potty and did so successfully.She is 2 yrs 10 mos. and I think we are almost there.Thanks for the support here.You have made it easier!!!

by on Nov. 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
kerijeanbean
by on Nov. 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM

That is great.  I am glad she is making so much progress.  My son is 2 years 10 months, but he won't poop on the potty yet so we are still in a holding pattern.  He pees on the potty and brings me a dry diaper, but we aren't pushing the issue right now.  I am due with a new baby in a couple of months.

Keri
Mom to
Chris 3/27/2000
Blaine 12/15/2005

MyHappyKids
by on Nov. 13, 2008 at 3:00 AM

It was tough getting her to poop in the potty and I hate for this to sound bad but to encourage this I decided that if she was playing in her room or whatever i would call her everytime I had to go potty.When I had a #2 I showed it to her and let her flush the big potty and said she just like you.You can do this.She was like uck! I said well,it is sooo much better than in your pants I NEVER poop in my pants anymore as the potty is sooo much easier! Well,that did it and from then on she pooped in the potty except this Monday at preschool,they were on the playground and she came to her teacher and said I pooped please change me.The teacher said she had been going to the potty great but had not pooped yet at school so she reinforced the potty and it being for pooping too and she said but I was playin'. So a changed pull-up and back to playground. I did one day before she was going regular at home pooping saw her kind of fidgetting and asked do you need to poop and she said uh NO so I took off her pants and all b/c it was cool in the house and I knew she would have to think about it more.Sure enough she came running gotta go poop but I dont wanna!!!! I said well come on I have to potty anyway(little fib there) and off we went.She really didnt want to go and I sat and sat and she jumped up several times finally she said are younot thru? I said no I have to sit stil a while sometimes.She sat down and sure enough as she sat talking to me said well,I pooped are you thru yet?? I wanted to crack up but couldnt and said just about.She said well,I need a baby wipe(again holding in the laughter).So except for Mon we have been doing everything in the potty and no accidents since my last post!!!! YEAH!!!!  I had a real hard time potty training my youngest two so I was really dreading this,but like her mom my oldest daughter,she was pretty easy to get to this point.We are still wearing pull-ups to preschool,in the car,at older kids sports practices.But i told her if she keeps up the no accidents in the pull ups she can wear her Princess panties out instead of just at home. I wish you much lcuk with your son. I think it takes boys longer bit that was just my experience.But if I could get mine out of diapers before the new baby came I sure would try! Good luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN