Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Need some help with pooping- EDIT - Yay, we got it- Info for those who need help

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

My dd has the peeing on the pottty down- But won't poop in the potty. She gets really upset with the fact that she has pooped in her elmo's (undies) but she won't tell me when she has to go and when I catch her doing it, I take her to the potty and sit her down, but it's either too late or she won't go.

Any advice? Also since we started potty training she isn't going at her normal time.

So for those who also has dealt with this- what do I do? is it something I need to just keep working on?

EDIT-We got it- read my reply below.

by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommatologan
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Funny, I'm having the same problem (except I have a boy who poops in his Lightning McQueen underwear).  I have tried many different things (leaving him in it, stickers, toys, potty chair vs. big toilet, etc).  I noticed your post was from a while ago.  Have you made any progress?  My boy started off holding it until he was so constipated we had to take him to the doc!  Now we have him on a stool softener but he either does small little poops several times a day or when I put him on the toilet he won't even push.  We have had some success (and boy do we throw a party!) but with no consistency.  He  pees in the potty like a champ and hardly ever have wetting accidents.  I really don't want to revert back to diapers but I'm going nuts washing out underwear!  The 3 day method worked great for peeing.

curlyk
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I'm also having a similar problem.  He's on day 3 and so far today, no accidents.  But he didn't poop for 2 days, and then last night pooped in his jammies and was so tired, he went to sleep in his poop.  We smelled it when we went to check on him.  We just changed him quietly and he went back to sleep.  We certainly didn't want to excite him when it was time to sleep.  He usually poops standing or squatting, so I don't think he knows how to poop sitting.  I'm wondering if either of you made any progress and what to expect?  I know every kid is different, but it's nice to feel I'm not alone in this.

lilbeansmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM

OK- Ladies we got it.  It took a little while but now we are right on track.  Just keep doing what you are doing.  Something I never did, once we put on undies I never once put a diaper back on my dd- Even if she had 50 accidents a day- very exaggerated BTW :-) I didn 't put them on her. Just new pairs of undies.  Let's see- one day she had 10 pee pee accidents and 3 poops-  This also was when she had a fever of 102-so I just worked with her- Now we are pooping and peeing in the potty, even getting out the bath to go. 

Sorry I just totally went off on how we got her to poop- I have severe ADD, and am in the process of not taking anything for it.

Here is what I did- Everytime she told me she had to go but wouldn't poop on the toilet, due to scared/hurting/etc- I would stay in the bathroom, for at least 15 minutes- playing, reading, brushing teeth/hair etc- But didn't make her sit on the potty- This way when it was right there( gross I know- but true) we were already in the bathroom, (also only undies at this point) and then when she couldn't hold it any more I would put her on the potty- Now because she was scared she would try to hold it in- and tell me she didn't have to go, if we left the bathroom it ended up in her undies and then she would be really upset. So here is the trick that worked -  I would tell her that she was doing it-going Poo Poo when she really wasn't, this would relax her enough to actually start going.  I would also say that's it, push it out- you can do it.  WOW big girl, etc. This worked everytime and pretty soon, she just started going on her own.  Big accomplishment is that she has been Pooping for daddy too.  Yesterday she pooped for him 2 times, one time getting out of the tub to do it.  Usually he would catch her, and then stick her on the toilet- now she is telling him. 

Goodluck ladies- if I think of anything else I will add more-  Just stick with it and don't do pull ups/diapers just deal with the mess- trust me you will succeed and feel so much better.

mommacan
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:04 PM

How exciting!!! I am so happy for you guys. If I can ask what about being in public? My dd will pee and poop in the potty but I have put her in a pull up when we left the house. She still peed in the public potty but we did have a poop accident today cause i couldn'tfind the potty in time ( the pull up saved us then) Its day 5 we spent 1-3 at home with no pull ups.. Hanging out in the public toilets is not something I wan to do YUCK!

What do you do when you  leave the house. We use undies at home always.

Quoting lilbeansmommy:

OK- Ladies we got it.  It took a little while but now we are right on track.  Just keep doing what you are doing.  Something I never did, once we put on undies I never once put a diaper back on my dd- Even if she had 50 accidents a day- very exaggerated BTW :-) I didn 't put them on her. Just new pairs of undies.  Let's see- one day she had 10 pee pee accidents and 3 poops-  This also was when she had a fever of 102-so I just worked with her- Now we are pooping and peeing in the potty, even getting out the bath to go. 

Sorry I just totally went off on how we got her to poop- I have severe ADD, and am in the process of not taking anything for it.

Here is what I did- Everytime she told me she had to go but wouldn't poop on the toilet, due to scared/hurting/etc- I would stay in the bathroom, for at least 15 minutes- playing, reading, brushing teeth/hair etc- But didn't make her sit on the potty- This way when it was right there( gross I know- but true) we were already in the bathroom, (also only undies at this point) and then when she couldn't hold it any more I would put her on the potty- Now because she was scared she would try to hold it in- and tell me she didn't have to go, if we left the bathroom it ended up in her undies and then she would be really upset. So here is the trick that worked -  I would tell her that she was doing it-going Poo Poo when she really wasn't, this would relax her enough to actually start going.  I would also say that's it, push it out- you can do it.  WOW big girl, etc. This worked everytime and pretty soon, she just started going on her own.  Big accomplishment is that she has been Pooping for daddy too.  Yesterday she pooped for him 2 times, one time getting out of the tub to do it.  Usually he would catch her, and then stick her on the toilet- now she is telling him. 

Goodluck ladies- if I think of anything else I will add more-  Just stick with it and don't do pull ups/diapers just deal with the mess- trust me you will succeed and feel so much better.

lilbeansmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I pack a  few extra change of clothes- My dd had an accident out in public last week- it was not pretty or fun (it was very running-TMI), but we dealt- I just took her to the bathroom, stripped her down and put the soiled clothes in a plastic bag, which was also in my bag.  It's gross but ya know- it happens.  I just think pull ups are too confusing- my nephew who is going to be 3 in April- has been potty training since Nov and because my sister doesn't want to deal with the mess at night and when out- he is in pull ups and guess what- he is no where closer to potty training.  He will go in the potty when he feels like it - if not oh well because he knows the pull ups will save him.  Before I leave I just make sure to make her try to go- and then as soon as we get to where we are I take her to the potty- Yes public bathrooms are gross and disgusting- here is what I do- lay down the tp or the toilet liners- I also take purell with me- I don't let me dd touch anything.  Also try planning your outing around them pooping if you can- if not just deal with the mess

Quoting mommacan:

How exciting!!! I am so happy for you guys. If I can ask what about being in public? My dd will pee and poop in the potty but I have put her in a pull up when we left the house. She still peed in the public potty but we did have a poop accident today cause i couldn'tfind the potty in time ( the pull up saved us then) Its day 5 we spent 1-3 at home with no pull ups.. Hanging out in the public toilets is not something I wan to do YUCK!

What do you do when you leave the house. We use undies at home always.

Quoting lilbeansmommy:

OK- Ladies we got it. It took a little while but now we are right on track. Just keep doing what you are doing. Something I never did, once we put on undies I never once put a diaper back on my dd- Even if she had 50 accidents a day- very exaggerated BTW :-) I didn 't put them on her. Just new pairs of undies. Let's see- one day she had 10 pee pee accidents and 3 poops- This also was when she had a fever of 102-so I just worked with her- Now we are pooping and peeing in the potty, even getting out the bath to go.

Here is what I did- Everytime she told me she had to go but wouldn't poop on the toilet, due to scared/hurting/etc- I would stay in the bathroom, for at least 15 minutes- playing, reading, brushing teeth/hair etc- But didn't make her sit on the potty- This way when it was right there( gross I know- but true) we were already in the bathroom, (also only undies at this point) and then when she couldn't hold it any more I would put her on the potty- Now because she was scared she would try to hold it in- and tell me she didn't have to go, if we left the bathroom it ended up in her undies and then she would be really upset. So here is the trick that worked - I would tell her that she was doing it-going Poo Poo when she really wasn't, this would relax her enough to actually start going. I would also say that's it, push it out- you can do it. WOW big girl, etc. This worked everytime and pretty soon, she just started going on her own. Big accomplishment is that she has been Pooping for daddy too. Yesterday she pooped for him 2 times, one time getting out of the tub to do it. Usually he would catch her, and then stick her on the toilet- now she is telling him.

Goodluck ladies- if I think of anything else I will add more- Just stick with it and don't do pull ups/diapers just deal with the mess- trust me you will succeed and feel so much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)