Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Is your Child Ready...Questions??

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM
  • 126 Replies

Is your child ready for the 3 day potty training process? Post your questions and concerns below and let other members help you decide.

by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
henrysmom06
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Henry is two. He just turned two on the 14th of this month. well lately he has benn doing the signs that he knows when he poops or pees in his diaper. if me or his dad fart he looks at us and says "ewwwww" and when he pees or poops in his diapers he says "ewwww". he has only peed in the potty ONE time and we sat there for about five mintues until he got distracted and peed. and when he first started peeing i praised him and he stopped. but i kept praising him and he fianlly peed the rest out. and the whole time i praised him and he laughed at me and peed. well when he couldnt pee anymore he grunted and tried peeing some more but couldnt. i know he he is addicted to the attention so everytime i put him on the potty i try to distract him with like a toy or something but he wont pee. he just points in the toliet and says "ewwww".  Henry has a speech problem. he dont talk much and when he does it is either not many words or jibberish so i know it will be hard for him to tell me. except for the messing with the diaper and saying ew. and most of the time he can understand what i am telling him and he will jump right to it. like putting his toys in the toy box or going to get ready for a bath or getting in his highchair to eat. i tried showing him me pee peeing in the potty and his fsvorate word....."ewwwww" daddy works alot so he cant show henry much peeing in the potty and when he does he stands up and pees. which i think daddy should be pottty training him since they are both boys. but daddy dont have alot of time. Henry dont watch much tv so i dont know what he would like on his underwear. ik now i am going by walmart today and let him choose. but i still am not sure if he understands this all the way. i have another boy due in may. and i really want to get this done before my other son arrives. but i want to make sure henry is ready and understands what we are trying to do here. any advice?

mommacan
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Toddlers have a very limited attention span as you know very well! Like you have been doing praise is the key to this method. They need to know that using the potty is a great thing. The book even says call grandma or daddy so he can get more praise over the phone. I think the snack after peeing helps as well. Its not a reward per say rather after peeing its time for a snack. In addition they need to know that diapers are GONE!!! Its the potty or the floor no other option.

As far as talking. Its a myth that a toddler needs to be able to talk to tell you he has to potty. The author says that there is many ways a child can tell you. Its up to you and them to figure out that method. Maybe you could teach him a sign for potty...just a thought. My dd says STINKY really load and usually in the middle of a quiet restaurant...UGH!!!

You are probably right they really don't understand the toilet process at first but if you stick with the method its suppose to just click. Its kind of like eating with a spoon or making a car go forward. You show them over and over and over and then one day when you least expect it they do it by themselves. Its a learning process. That's why that first day its mostly them peeeing on the floor, you running them to the potty and praising them for finishing in the potty! I would look for underwear with trucks or baseballs on them something he know and likes. Then talk them up...Big boy pants!!!!! yahoooooo!!!!  

My only concern with you situation is that sometimes toddlers can regress when another child is born. Like they want to wear diapers again or use a paci some even want to nurse again. My dd kept putting her sis paci in her mouth and she never took a paci...it was weird and only happened a few times. But I don't think you should not try potty training I just wanted to pass on the regress info so you are aware what could happen (but may not).

It will be hard epecially while you are pregnant and not feeling at your best but I know you can help your LO learn to potty!!!! Good Luck!

Quoting henrysmom06:

Henry is two. He just turned two on the 14th of this month. well lately he has benn doing the signs that he knows when he poops or pees in his diaper. if me or his dad fart he looks at us and says "ewwwww" and when he pees or poops in his diapers he says "ewwww". he has only peed in the potty ONE time and we sat there for about five mintues until he got distracted and peed. and when he first started peeing i praised him and he stopped. but i kept praising him and he fianlly peed the rest out. and the whole time i praised him and he laughed at me and peed. well when he couldnt pee anymore he grunted and tried peeing some more but couldnt. i know he he is addicted to the attention so everytime i put him on the potty i try to distract him with like a toy or something but he wont pee. he just points in the toliet and says "ewwww".  Henry has a speech problem. he dont talk much and when he does it is either not many words or jibberish so i know it will be hard for him to tell me. except for the messing with the diaper and saying ew. and most of the time he can understand what i am telling him and he will jump right to it. like putting his toys in the toy box or going to get ready for a bath or getting in his highchair to eat. i tried showing him me pee peeing in the potty and his fsvorate word....."ewwwww" daddy works alot so he cant show henry much peeing in the potty and when he does he stands up and pees. which i think daddy should be pottty training him since they are both boys. but daddy dont have alot of time. Henry dont watch much tv so i dont know what he would like on his underwear. ik now i am going by walmart today and let him choose. but i still am not sure if he understands this all the way. i have another boy due in may. and i really want to get this done before my other son arrives. but i want to make sure henry is ready and understands what we are trying to do here. any advice?

mindyf12
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Hi My son will be 22 months on the 4th of Jan. I am a stay at home mom with him and  feel confident in the time I will be able to spend on potty training him. We are expecting another baby around my son's second birthday! So potty training is something we have been thinking about trying. He has started to notice when he has gone in his diaper. And when you ask him if he pooped or peed he repeats you and takes you to his chaning table (most of the time) if he is busy doing something he will run away from you shaking his head and saying no. He has been watching me and my husband use the restroom so I think he is beginning to get the idea I am just not sure if he is ready or not.

mommacan
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM

The book states that if your child passes the biological readiness test then he/she is ready!  It says that once the body is ready and you are ready then you both are ready to start the process. It also state that it sometimes takes longer for the parent to be ready than it does for the child. To be honest I was hoping for a little more diaper time...but that will not be the case.

I am with you...I know my dd is ready...some days she is better about telling me than others but its time...we start Tomorrow!! I will keep you all updated on my success...:)

Quoting mindyf12:

Hi My son will be 22 months on the 4thof Jan. I am a stay at home mom with him and  feel confident in the time I will be able to spend on potty training him. We are expecting another baby around my son's second birthday! So potty training is something we have been thinking about trying. He has started to notice when he has gone in his diaper. And when you ask him if he pooped or peed he repeats you and takes you to his chaning table (most of the time) if he is busy doing something he will run away from you shaking his head and saying no. He has been watching me and my husband use the restroom so I think he is beginning to get the idea I am just not sure if he is ready or not.

M0mmy0f_3
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

What can I do? My 2 year old son is scared of the potty. I'm ready for him to be out of the diapers but anytime we put him near his potty chair or the toilet he screams and runs away. What can I do so he wont be afraid of it?

Come join my new group for moms that need help all year round!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/helpingmommies

mommacan
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 1:37 PM

The book says this is a some what common thing for some children so don't be discourage. Here are some suggestions that may help:

Take your LO to the store and have them pick out their own toilet seat or potty chair (like with Dora or sponge bob on it).

Maybe try a different method like a potty seat instead of a chair. Also turn your child the opposite direction on the toilet (facing backwards) so he can hold on to the tank.

But ultimently don't force your child to sit on the toilet unless they ask (or you catch them in the process).

Maybe you cold take a potty training break and not even mention it for 30 days. Put the seat away if possible. then start fresh with his favorite potty.

I wish you luck!

Quoting M0mmy0f_3:

What can I do? My 2 year old son is scared of the potty. I'm ready for him to be out of the diapers but anytime we put him near his potty chair or the toilet he screams and runs away. What can I do so he wont be afraid of it?

curiousdragnfly
by on Jan. 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM

My son turned 2 on Nov 15th and doesn't talk very much.  We had started familarizing him with the potty at 8 months old, which he loved it an even went poo on it a couple of times.  But the problem is that my mother (who watches him while I work) has not done any training either.  Now I am more of a quick change person instead of over time, so I want to try the 3 day method.  We have bought the underwear (Handy Manny as that is his favorite) and today is #1.  So far, I have to say ARRRGGGGGGGG.  I put him on the potty every 15 min for 2-5 minutes at a time, but as soon as I put his underwear back on....bing, bang, boom, he pees in them.  Now I thought that he would at least hate the feeling of being wet, but oh NNNOOO, he needs to prove mama wrong.  When he went in his diaper, I would ask him if he went potty and most of the time he would shake his head yes, so he knows and I took that as a sign that he is ready.  Any advice would be appreciated.

mommacan
by on Jan. 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I so know how you are feeling!!!! Day one was the worst for us (so far!). Here is what the  book  says;  "do not put the child on the toilet or make them sit on the toilet for long periods of time". You should only put them on the potty when you ask and they say yes (or have that yes look in their eyes) or if you catch them in the act and then rush them to finish on the potty.  By only putting them on when you ask or when they go it helps them to learn the potty's purpose as use when needed rather than a place mom makes me sit every few mins. Maybe Try this technique and see if that helps him understand a little better. I know that with my dd If I put her on the potty when she says she doesn't have to go she screams and usually has an accident right when she gets up but if i ask and she says yes she has always went in the potty.

My dd on day one did the whole pee a little on the potty, get up and have an accident, sit back on potty and nothing just to have another accident when she gets up again, After finishing day two I realized the biggest issue was holding it and emptying it. Day 1 sje had a lot of small accidents. Day two she had fewer accidents but the accidents she did have were larger. From day 1 to day 2 she seemed to have learned how to hold it herself. As for emptying I try to distract her with books, toys, shoes etc to get her to stay sitted longer (i sing, cheer anything I can think of really). If she doesn't go much or not at all I closely follow her around asking and or waiting for her to have an accident. If she does start to pee I rush her to the potty. One time today she stood right in front of  and all of a sudden a puddle started to appear...I EWWWWW Yuck... NO...in the potty and then ran her to the potty. She had stopped mid stream when I startled her and did finish in the potty (to cheers and a couple M&Ms).  So I suggest after he gets up, follow him closely for a while I bet you can catch him  and then run him to the potty,

As far as your mom...i am struggling with that one as well. My dd goes to school 2 days a week for 3 hours a day. I know how important consistency is so I plan to write up detailed instructions of what I say and do. Hopefully by the time she goes back to school she will only need a little reminding. I was thinking I might put a sticker on her back saying :Please ask me if I have to potty:. I thought that might help the school ladies remember to ask since it will be new to them too.

Quoting curiousdragnfly:

My son turned 2 on Nov 15th and doesn't talk very much.  We had started familarizing him with the potty at 8 months old, which he loved it an even went poo on it a couple of times.  But the problem is that my mother (who watches him while I work) has not done any training either.  Now I am more of a quick change person instead of over time, so I want to try the 3 day method.  We have bought the underwear (Handy Manny as that is his favorite) and today is #1.  So far, I have to say ARRRGGGGGGGG.  I put him on the potty every 15 min for 2-5 minutes at a time, but as soon as I put his underwear back on....bing, bang, boom, he pees in them.  Now I thought that he would at least hate the feeling of being wet, but oh NNNOOO, he needs to prove mama wrong.  When he went in his diaper, I would ask him if he went potty and most of the time he would shake his head yes, so he knows and I took that as a sign that he is ready.  Any advice would be appreciated.

azmom1982
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

My son is almost 21 months, and has been showing readiness signs since he was 15 or 16 months.  We tried potty training, but he wouldn't sit on his seat for a while.  He has no problem with the toilet, he let's us know when he goes (most of the time before and after)....he has not gone potty in the toilet.  We plan to start the 3 day method next week (if hubby can get an extra day off).  The thing I'm a little anxious about is his nap time.  I know to stop giving him liquids 2 hours before bed, but he naps immediately after lunch.  Should we try to get him to potty before naptime?  Another thing is he is in a crib.  He loves his crib, he likes the idea of toddler beds to play on and not to sleep in.  Would him being in a crib work?

baby

pregnancy calendar
jaydensmommy914
by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM

my son is 27 months and i want to start to potty train him and i really want to start the 3 day training but dont know how to initiate it. bc my son is very rough and usually when he doesnt want to do something he will battle it out, also everytime we go to the bathroom he wants to take a bath not use the potty. he lets me know when hes done it in hios diaper, but not when he has the urge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)