Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Does the 3 day method really work??

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

Does it really work when your first starting? I just want to make sure I am doing this right. He just isn't getting it about going in the potty. 2 seconds later though we can pee a river!!!

Thanks

Cumminsmommyof2

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Plopez
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM

i dont think so!! i have tried it w/ my son for the past 2 weeks. he just wont use the big boy potty.

mommacan
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Day one was just like that for us too. All I could do is catch her in the act and rush her to the potty to finish. On many occasions she would just get up and a second later pee on the floor. After I learned that we tried to stay close to the potty and I watched very closely to catch her.

Day two she started to get it more. She started holding it and started asking to potty. It was about 70% in the potty. A LOT less accidents thats for sure.

Day three so far for us has been outstanding! She has asked to potty on  3 occasions and peed alot all those times. She only had one accident and that was because she said potty once, and then was distracted by something and forgot she had to potty. A stream followed. I hope our afternoon is even better.

IT does work if you stay consistent and really try to catch them in the act. I have also been putting my dd to bed early because her brain seems so stretch taking everything in. So also watch for signs of exhaustion as well (they lose interest in learning when they are tired).

azmom1982
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM

My son is almost 21 months, and has shown signs of readiness since September.  He hasn't gone in the potty at all.  He will sometimes tell us he has peepee or dirty (what he calls poop).  But, he doesn't do it all the time.  I'm so skeptical and nervous.

baby

pregnancy calendar
mommacan
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I have a 21 month old girl and I know how you feel. I was a little skeptical but determined as well and now after completing the 3 days and being on day 6 I can saftlety say the method worked for us! She had no accidents today and even pooped in the potty after telling me she had to go. She has even used a public potty on two occasions and a friends house today (all three with me holding her on the big potty).

I will admit this is the first day she has had no accidents and she usually tells me three times before actually peeing. But the extra trips are worth it to me.

But you HAVE to follow the system. We did not leave the house for 3 days and she never wore pullups only underwear. She liked it, then hated it then finally it is starting to become "normal" to her. But with this system you can't on day 2 take it "off" and throw a diaper on and leave the house you must stay home an you also have to catch ALL (99%) of the accidents and have your child finish in the potty. The hardest part is following your child everywhere for 3 days and not leaving the house. I was about to go crazy on day 3. :)

Some moms say it didn't work for their child and maybe it didn't but we also don't know how closely they watched their child, if they stayed home and if they never put on a pull up/ diaper. Also maybe some kids are different. I have only trained one child who is a girl and we are still a work in progress.

So to answer your question...it works for some and not for others what ever the reasons are. :)

GOYA
by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM

It works for sure as long as you know your child is ready and you are ready to. I have 3 children My two older girls are already 11 and 12 and the times I tried to teach them didn't work because I wasn't that commited to it. But with my yougest child I have a boy this time and I had no idea how I was going to do it. All I knew I was going to make it happen. I ready the 3 day method late Sunday night. I never heard of it and I started to laugh. But I paid very close attention to what I had to do and decided to try it. I admit that on the first day I didn't take hime to the bathroom first. I wanted to explain to him so he can understand and not be afraid of what I was doing. So Monday, Day 1 he made a few accidents, He pooped in his potty and finally in the afternoon he peed in the toilet. Day 2, 1 accident and he pee a lot in the toilet. Today, Day 3 he had 1 accident but did great today. I even had to go out which I didn't want to but had to pick up my daughter's glasses at Walmart. He held it the hold time there because he didn't want to sit on the toilet there. As soon as I got home I took off he sneakers and pants and left him with his long sleeved shirt and socks on. Then he said pee pee mommy. So I took him and he peed a lot. That's when I knew he really had to go but held it until we came home. So I would say it really does work indeed.At bight I still put his pull ups so he doesn't wet the bed. I do see that he does get tired early and just wants to lay down an hour or two before he goes to bed and holds his belly because of a discomfort or something he feels after having his milk. I decided to give my son less milk, juice or water. Whatever I see is best for him. After he pees for the last time that he is awake he is better and ready for bed. I will continue to use this method and recommend it to every mom.

Kambersmom
by on Jan. 8, 2009 at 12:39 PM

My dd is 21 months and it has worked for her.  Today is day 4 and we have been out in public and at home and she will go potty anywhere and I do not have to worry about her today because she is telling me or running to the potty herself.  The first and second day were pretty rough and I started to think that I could not do it, but I stuck with it and she is now doing great and it has only been 4 days.  I do put diapers on her during naps and bedtime, but other than that panties only.  She  does not want to wear a diaper at naptime though.  Yesterday I went in her room and found her sleeping in bed with no diaper on, she had taken it off, but she did en out peeing in the bed, but I do plan on taking diaper off during naptimes soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN