Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

help!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM
  • 1 Replies

My dd is 20 months and will tell me after she has gone that she went and she uses the correct words. She says pee pee and poo.  But only after she has gone.  How do I get her to tell me before she goes?  She tells me while she is going and its getting frustrationg because I use pull ups at night and she will take it off first thing in the morning and all I hear on the monitor is her saying pee pee.  She does this before shes even outta bed.  Should I be waking her up in the middle of the night to go potty??  Any advice would be greatly appreciated

by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mommacan
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 1:33 PM

The key is catching her in the act and having her finish in the potty. I know how hard that is but by catching them, them peeing in potty and then giving them a "reward" (i.e. stickers, M&Ms etc) its suppose to help them figure out to tell you before they go. Each day is getting better for my dd (21 months). She was saying when she peed, then right before and now she gives me a min. But there is still not a lot of warning...so public excursions is a challenge :)

As far as night...two things. First try to stop giving her liquids 2-3 hours before bed. That should help ALOT! But also you may need to get her up right away when she wakes and put her on the potty. Most bed wetting happens right when the child wakes up.  so maybe in the morning she pees than takes off her pull up. I don't think you should wake her at night, it would just be harder to get her back to sleep. IMO night  bed wetting is a lot harder to "break". In fact many kids wet the bed into their teens. So I would just try to cut night liquids first. What I do is give her night milk for a snack at 4, then just plain water at dinner (5:30 ish) and just plain water if she cries for a drink. I do just plain water because if she is really thirsty she will drink it but if its just because  she wont over do it with water like she would if the juice was sweet or had flavor.

I am glad things are going good! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)