Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

How often?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 9:45 AM
  • 3 Replies

So how often should I ask my 21 month old if she needs to potty and how often should I just put her on the potty if at all.  She always tells me no she does not have to go but also always goes if i put her on the potty.  She has told me a few times that she has to go, but only a few times.

by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommacan
by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Well the book says to only put the child on the potty if they say yes, you catch them in the act of having an accident or they have the potty look (my dd does a little potty dance). i also have her try before we leave the house, get to a new location or are about leave a destination,

but it sounds like taking her is working? maybe keep doing what you are doing for a while then maybe take less and ask more until she starts telling you. my dd screams NO if i take her and she doesn;t have to go but she also says she has to potty (while out of the house) and then she doesn't have to go. But at least she has min accidents so I can't complain...

LolaRain
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM

What day are you on?

For us day 1-3 I just put her butt on the toilet! Lol...I wasn't taking chances, even though we had many, many accidents anyways. Now I really just ask her all day (quite often, even more if she's drinking juice)...she will come up and tell me most of the time, but unfortunatly get's busy playing...

So, just keep at it...keep asking, keeping putting her on it!

Coweta County Mom's...click on the map! 

DrusL8y
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

The key is NOT asking them if they have to go! They ALWAYS say no! It's an independence thing! You have to keep reminding them that when they need to go, they need to tell you. You can give your LO a buzz word if that's easier. We just told our son to say, "Potty" when he needed to go. My son didn't actually start saying potty until the fourth day. But the second and third day, whenever we'd remind him and he had to go, he'd say potty and sure enough he'd go! I remember just being so tired of reminding him. I was getting on my own nerves! LOL But it gives them confidence and shows that you trust them when you give them the chance to come tell you. Also, they learn that bladder control and sense of urgency. Now, my son knows how to hold his pee! HTH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)