Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

How do I get my son to go at other places?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM
  • 3 Replies

Today is day 7 and he is doing well peeing. Doing #2 is something I have to watch him because he still gets nervous or something but he does go when I take him to the bathroom. He prefers to use the big toilet and not his potty. He uses the base to stand on it. I went out 3 times and he had to go once each time. I took him to the bathroom at Walmart, laudry mat and the 3rd time each place I would stop at either it was out of order or customers could not use it. All of the 3 times my son never went. I knew he didn't feel confident and I tried to make him feel good but all he did was back away. I didn't get upset or get frustrated. I know this is also hard for him to go at other places. I can't think of what to do other than making sure he is going 100% on his own. Right now he is at 80 - 90%.

by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LolaRain
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Maybe just hold him over it? Or do you do that? I'm not really sure. I've got a little girl and I left the house on day 5 and we did great...I just held her in a squat kind of thing over the toilet. That's a tough one I think. I didn't expect it to go well for us...but ended up okay!! Good luck with it.

Coweta County Mom's...click on the map! 

mommacan
by on Jan. 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Maybe purchase a travel potty you can put in your car. I did this, I have yet to try it since I bought it only a couple days ago but it should help. Than you can pull over, let him go and then throw away the bag/ liner. It has padding on the liner to "suck up" the liquid like a diaper.

But also I have heard (from a friend who has a boy) that she has him pee in a cup. I know weird but it could work for those crazy times. and I hate to say it but boys would probably love it. I don't know. :)

DrusL8y
by on Jan. 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Since potty training in general is still new for him, have you considered buying a travel potty just until he builds the confidence? Here's one I'm considering for DS, Fisher-Price Potty On-the-Go. It comes with a carrying case, so if I have to go somewhere where I know we won't make it back to the car (grocery shopping, mall, etc) I can just set it up in a handicap stall. For us, it's worth the shot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN