Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The difference and why?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2008 at 3:22 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 525 Total Views

Could we maybe address the difference between being a Torah observant Jew and a Noachide?  Things like, what are the differences in the holidays celebrated and the laws that are followed.

Maybe even discuss if a Noachide wants to go further and follow more of the laws, how that is seen by the Jewish community.

by on Aug. 18, 2008 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Dvora
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Absolutly. I'm going to try to find a friend of mine who is a noachide to see if she can become a member of Cafe Mom to help educate us. I will e-mail her tonight Bez"H. She can answer a lot of our questions.

To be a leader, you have to care.
To be a GREAT leader, you have to care GREATLY - Rav Noach Weinberg

Please pray for HaRav Yisroal Noach Ben Hilda for a refuah shalaima

aish.com the #1 Jewish web site!
OkieNoahide2
by Member on Aug. 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Quoting Petie:

Could we maybe address the difference between being a Torah observant Jew and a Noachide?  Things like, what are the differences in the holidays celebrated and the laws that are followed.

Maybe even discuss if a Noachide wants to go further and follow more of the laws, how that is seen by the Jewish community.

I am going to post an excerpt from the "Brief History of B'nai Noah" that my husband wrote for the Siddur. if you would like a copy of this section, I will be more than happy to make it available for you. Another great article that might help is one that Rabbi Yechiel Sitzman wrote for the Siddur and can be found at http://www.okbns.org/Theo_History.html

The Seven Laws were the only mandatory laws for all mankind until the Exodus from Egypt.

When Moses came down the first time from the mountain and "stated" laws, they included the Seven Laws restated, along with the Laws previously stated at Marah. Exodus 19:1-9. these included the Seven Laws, Civil Laws, Sabbath Laws, Honor of parents, and for the Red Cow.

When Moses went back up the mountain and received the 613 Laws for the Hebrew people, he also received the Seven Laws for the nations, as well as the written Torah Exodus 24:3-4. See also the commentary on Exodus 19 and 24 in the Chumash, Stone Edition. Moses was given the Oral Laws for both... it was at Sinai when Moses received this instruction both Written and Oral Torah that Israel was also designated as Priests and teachers to the rest of the world. Israel was given the task of preserving and teaching these Laws of G'd to all of Mankind.

so the difference is that we as observant B'nai Noah are Co-Coreligionists of Israel and they have the designation by Ha Shem to be " A Light unto the Nations", Our Priests and Teachers and we have the obligation as the "Lay People" to learn Torah as it applies to us and all of mankind and then to apply the teachings of the Seven Laws with all their details (which is about 66). One is free to choose to take on more mitzvahs (as long as we study it out and do it correctly with rabbinical supervision) to receive a reward but we should not hang Mazzuzahs, use Tefillin, or write a Torah Scroll, We cannot "keep" the Sabbath or Holy days in the same way as do Jews. In short we should not do things in any way that makes it appear that we are Jewish as some things were given only to Israel. (When we do things that make us appear Jewish, we become thieves "stealing the heritage of the Jews" and breaking the Mitzvah against theft.)

Our Holyday observances are more like commemorations in that we do not "Observe" them as do the Jews. Our website http://www.okbns.org/Free.html has booklets that we have developed as guides for some of the Holydays and the Rabbis have reviewed them. They are in PDF and free for download.... I do hope I have answered your questions, if not, let me know :-)

Shalom

Pam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)