Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a Noachide...

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1011 Total Views

attend synagogue regularly?

Can their children go to the Hebrew classes?

What should we know about visiting a synagogue for the first time?  Should the kids come too, or should the parents be alone the first time?

by on Aug. 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
OkieNoahide2
by Member on Aug. 18, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Quoting Petie:

What should we know about visiting a synagogue for the first time?  Should the kids come too, or should the parents be alone the first time?

It depends on the Synagogue you are wanting to attend, some are very happy to have B'nai Noah attend, others are more reserved and still others aren't so welcoming :-(

The best thing to do is contact the Rabbi of the Synagogue and be honest about who you are and that you are a B'nai Noah.  We went to an Orthodox Synagogue in Memphis after calling the Rabbi so he knew we were coming, I think we met him before Shabbat too. Then he explained to us about coming and that we were welcome. when we actually arrived on Shabbat at the Synagogue we (My sister, brother in law and my husband and I) were greated by a really nice gentleman who showed us where to sit and made sure my husband and brother in law had their heads covered etc... the Woman sit seperately from the men and it was actually rather nice, every one is more focused :-)

We were invited to sit next to a couple of woman who helped us keep up and for a first time.... they had their work cut out for them :-0

Don't expect to be able to keep up, if you have never been before it is an awesome but a bit confusing experience.

Simple things to remember is to NOT be offended by some who are distant because they are cautious.... Gentiles don't have a good history so you sould be willing to let them get to know you

Don't offer to shake any mans hand.... it is not appropriate

Wear a hat or be willing to use what the Synagogue offers for a woman's head covering. I always cover my head with a scarf when I go into a jewish environment, but I know some who wear hats.

Be sure that you are dressed modestly..... woman should have their top not be any lower than their collar bone, sleeves should be to the elbow at least, and dresses should be mid calf length ( I am sure the Jewis woman here can explain beter than I). According to our rabbis we B'nai Noah should follow the minimum requirements for a Jewish woman, of course we can choose to do more. But because we will at times be in the same places etc.... we need to understand what will not offend and we also need to understand what is appropriate for us to be modest according to Hashem, this is something that I look forward to learning more about now that I have come to CafeMoM's :-)

Our Children should not attend Jewish schools, we must be careful to help Israel and B'nai Noah accept and embrace our differences. We are not allowed by Torah to intermarry and so we should be careful about such things.

I would suggest talking to the Local Orthodox Rabbi about children attending for the first time, I am sure he would be more able to let you know what is best.

I do hope I have made sense, if not please let me know and i will keep trying :-) sometimes I don't express myself well.

If you have time to go to our website, http://www.okbns.org/R_Schwartz_Intro.html Rabbi Schwartz's Noahide Commandments are a brief overview but it is an excellent place to begin :-)

sorry this was soooooo long

Shalom

Pam

Dvora
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Quoting OkieNoahide2:

Quoting Petie:

It depends on the Synagogue you are wanting to attend, some are very happy to have B'nai Noah attend, others are more reserved and still others aren't so welcoming :-(

The best thing to do is contact the Rabbi of the Synagogue and be honest about who you are and that you are a B'nai Noah.  We went to an Orthodox Synagogue in Memphis after calling the Rabbi so he knew we were coming, I think we met him before Shabbat too. Then he explained to us about coming and that we were welcome. when we actually arrived on Shabbat at the Synagogue we (My sister, brother in law and my husband and I) were greated by a really nice gentleman who showed us where to sit and made sure my husband and brother in law had their heads covered etc... the Woman sit seperately from the men and it was actually rather nice, every one is more focused :-)

We were invited to sit next to a couple of woman who helped us keep up and for a first time.... they had their work cut out for them :-0

Don't expect to be able to keep up, if you have never been before it is an awesome but a bit confusing experience.

Simple things to remember is to NOT be offended by some who are distant because they are cautious.... Gentiles don't have a good history so you sould be willing to let them get to know you

Don't offer to shake any mans hand.... it is not appropriate

Wear a hat or be willing to use what the Synagogue offers for a woman's head covering. I always cover my head with a scarf when I go into a jewish environment, but I know some who wear hats.

Be sure that you are dressed modestly..... woman should have their top not be any lower than their collar bone, sleeves should be to the elbow at least, and dresses should be mid calf length ( I am sure the Jewis woman here can explain beter than I). According to our rabbis we B'nai Noah should follow the minimum requirements for a Jewish woman, of course we can choose to do more. But because we will at times be in the same places etc.... we need to understand what will not offend and we also need to understand what is appropriate for us to be modest according to Hashem, this is something that I look forward to learning more about now that I have come to CafeMoM's :-)

Our Children should not attend Jewish schools, we must be careful to help Israel and B'nai Noah accept and embrace our differences. We are not allowed by Torah to intermarry and so we should be careful about such things.

I would suggest talking to the Local Orthodox Rabbi about children attending for the first time, I am sure he would be more able to let you know what is best.

I do hope I have made sense, if not please let me know and i will keep trying :-) sometimes I don't express myself well.

If you have time to go to our website, http://www.okbns.org/R_Schwartz_Intro.html Rabbi Schwartz's Noahide Commandments are a brief overview but it is an excellent place to begin :-)

sorry this was soooooo long

Shalom

Pam

Pam this was amazing information! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us.

To be a leader, you have to care.
To be a GREAT leader, you have to care GREATLY - Rav Noach Weinberg

Please pray for HaRav Yisroal Noach Ben Hilda for a refuah shalaima

aish.com the #1 Jewish web site!
Petie
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM

The only synagogue near us is Reform, so how do these things change with that?  I know they don't seperate the women from men, but what about the other things?

OkieNoahide2
by Member on Sep. 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Quoting Petie:

The only synagogue near us is Reform, so how do these things change with that?  I know they don't seperate the women from men, but what about the other things?

Shalom Petie,

Please forgive me taking so long to respond.

I would not suggest attending a Reform as they are not observant. The danger in attending a Reform is that it encourages them to not be observant and they will generally ask you to convert Reform which is not recognised by any of the orthodox and would not be considered valid in israel either.

As B'nai Noah we are not allowed to enable another to sin and becoming a part of Reform is not only enabling it is encouraging in that you must accept their ways and even participate with them in their breaking the laws given to them at Sinai and by associating with Reform you as a B'nai Noah might also be encouraged to break the Laws that pertain to you :-( maybe not intentionally but still one must be careful.....

I know it is lonely but we must do what is true and remain faithful to Hashem :-)

Please consider joining our Disscussion group on Thursday evenings 9pm eastern standard time, perhaps you will meet others in your area?

shalom

Pam

oraleemo
by New Member on May. 15, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Our temple has it's school on Sunday mornings.  It is not a private five-day a week school.  Is this "Sunday School" what they can't attend or are you talking private school?  Either way I am very disappointed.  I was looking forward to Natalie going.  Now we have even less to look forward to.  Can our children have some type of Bat Mitzvah?  Do we get anything but coloring books to raise our children on?  I am sorry but I am getting upset!  I could tough it out as a single person but our children, my daughter deserves interactions with real flesh and bone people to connect with, children around her own age with common foundations and aspirations.  I also can't do 100% spiritual lesson plans.  I have to do every daily devotional because I can't go to the local Christian bookstore and just pick one up like a normal person.  I have to explain "the differences" between Us versus Them.  And now you say she can't even spend a few hours with kids somewhat like her?  Are they afraid she'll contaminate them.  She needs to build friends and not be the town freak! 

OkieNoahide2
by Member on May. 15, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Quoting oraleemo:

Our temple has it's school on Sunday mornings.  It is not a private five-day a week school.  Is this "Sunday School" what they can't attend or are you talking private school?  Either way I am very disappointed.  I was looking forward to Natalie going.  Now we have even less to look forward to.  Can our children have some type of Bat Mitzvah?  Do we get anything but coloring books to raise our children on?  I am sorry but I am getting upset!  I could tough it out as a single person but our children, my daughter deserves interactions with real flesh and bone people to connect with, children around her own age with common foundations and aspirations.  I also can't do 100% spiritual lesson plans.  I have to do every daily devotional because I can't go to the local Christian bookstore and just pick one up like a normal person.  I have to explain "the differences" between Us versus Them.  And now you say she can't even spend a few hours with kids somewhat like her?  Are they afraid she'll contaminate them.  She needs to build friends and not be the town freak! 

Shalom Ora Lee,

The problem with attending a Reform is that your daughter will not be learning the Truth of Torah instead she will actually be indoctrinated to not accept Torah that was passed down from Sinai. It is not a matter of "Contamination" Torah forbids Jews and Non-Jews from intermarriage.... G'd's Law  requires separation because we have different laws that apply to us and different Laws that apply to Israel, not because they are better than us but because they are the designated "Teachers" to the rest of humanity. He requires more from Israel and if we intermingle on a regular basis the chances are that an Israeli boy will take a fancy to your wonderful daughter and then either she will take him away from being an observant Jew or she will have to convert...... it could be painful for both or just one..... and ultimately it has the potential of bringing damamge to two beautiful souls and someday Our Creator will require an answer of those who allowed it to happen.

I am assuming that you are in Missouri, is that correct? Please let me know about where you are and I will try to find others who are also Children of Noah.

We have been working to develope things for children several things are in the works. I can also ask around of others to see if they have developed anything that would be useful to you. Many parents have had to go through the same things. I understand your feelings and I know full well the feeling of isolation, it isn't easy.... but like many who came before us we must strive to do what is right in G'd's eyes.... after all it is His will we seek.

Please, don't get frustrated and give up! utilize the internet for the time being and let us help you find others.... We are near Miami, Oklahoma.......

Please stay in touch, we are here for you progers@okbns.org

Shalom

Pam

www.okbns.org

oraleemo
by New Member on May. 18, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Yes, 70 miles from St. Louis, South 21.  I have spoken once or twice with a man running a few groups of study in the city.  Greg Swetz I think is the right email listing.  He said he has a few people who attend some adult classes as inquires.  He seemed to have his hands full.  He also seemed to focus on mystic teachings and man made interpretations. 

Honestly when I hear the Jewish denominations squabble I hear Christian denominations squabble.  When you hold a beach ball up to your face you only see one part of the whole.  G-d is see big that we only see one part of G-d.  We people created in the image of G-d and with varying learning differences, personalities, interpretations only reflect a part of that Divine image.  Denominations just try to match one person with the one part of God that they can relate to yet grow and deepen their own roots by. 

The religion, core beleifs, Bible principles need to be sound.

I'll think and pray more about Jewish denominations but for now it's really irrelevant.  It is not practicle to drive three hours to attend a one or two hour service.  Pluss work scheduals and gas...  I do have tuesdays off so I am working on remembering to "get to class on time".

I have been in Mo now 10 years.  I was raised in Humboldt and Modoc counties Ca.  California gal at heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)