Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lost feeling

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 634 Total Views

I wasn't sure what else to title this post.

I'm almost 26, and I've been Noahide for about 3 years, give or take. Except for that period I lapsed (and had my daughter) I've been pretty good. I've moved to a very rural, hillbilly area (from the ghetto to another ghetto, the urban slummy type. Prior to that I lived in a pretty Jewish area.). So it's kinda... tough. I also think I am among the youngest adult Noahides. I'm not sure though.

How do y'all stay connected to your Noahide faith? I feel so ... disconnected. Like I have no real traditions, prayers, anything. Do you just DIY and make your own? My old rabbi didn't really help me much, just told me to read Michael Dallen and "Study". How can I raise my daughter to do this, if I stay Noahide?

How observant are you, what extra mitzvos do you take on, in addition to your Noahide obligations? If you do do extra ones (I braid bread. But I don't say the blessing. Sure I break off the challah but I don't bless it. -- for example). I also used to dress modestly but that kinda died when I outgrew my old modest clothes. I live in sweatpants now lol) How do you like... I guess I want to feel proud to be what I am.
Instead of feeling like I have no identity.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if my wording is kinda disorganized, this was tough to write out how I was feeling! I'm so happy I'm not the only bas Noach here! :)

EditL I forgot to mention I probably won't be able to make a halachic conversion, I had my child out of wedlock and I am a single mom.  I have been turned down once already by an Orthodox bet din. :( (Before I had my kiddo)

~ Ari ~
mommy to Arianna Madison, 1/15/07 and fur baby cat Jezebel (1/1/06)

~I need a nap, un!!~

by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Dvora
by Group Owner on Nov. 17, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Ari,

I am sure that Annie can help you with all that you are feeling. I am the moderator of this group, but I am an orthodox Jew who started this group to help people just like you. I hope we get more women in here to speak up so we can help. I will pm annie now so she knows to check your post.

Do you want to learn more about Judaism? Join our group at Torah and Talk http://www.cafemom.com/group/34625 

OkieNoahide2
by Member on Nov. 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Shalom,

I am not Annie....LOL I am Pam :-) Devora did write to to me, I am not sure why I am not being notified when there is a new post :-( Any way i am most happy to meet you!!

I'm almost 26, and I've been Noahide for about 3 years, give or take. Except for that period I lapsed (and had my daughter) I've been pretty good. I've moved to a very rural, hillbilly area (from the ghetto to another ghetto, the urban slummy type. Prior to that I lived in a pretty Jewish area.). So it's kinda... tough. I also think I am among the youngest adult Noahides. I'm not sure though.

where do you live? I am in oklahoma but I know many observant B'nai Noah all over the globe :-)

How do y'all stay connected to your Noahide faith? I feel so ... disconnected. Like I have no real traditions, prayers, anything. Do you just DIY and make your own? My old rabbi didn't really help me much, just told me to read Michael Dallen and "Study". How can I raise my daughter to do this, if I stay Noahide?

I don't really recommend Michael's book, it is good for references but he puts too much of his own opinion in it which can be confusing.

Our website is www.okbns.org we are working with Rabbi Yoel Schwartz, Rabbi Yechiel Sitzman and Rabbi Dov and Rebbetzin Dreidyl (his wife).

We have weekly discussion group at www.virtualyeshiva.com Tuesdays, 8pm Central time in the "Noah Chat" room.

Our primary sources for our discussions are the “Service from the Heart; Renewing the Ancient Path of Biblical Prayer and Service”  and “The Divine Code Vol.1” along with other traditional sources of information as deemed appropriate by Rabbi Dov and Rebbetzin Dreidyl, as well as information from rabbis who are known to be knowledgeable in Noahide Halacha

both of these books are published specifically for B'nai Noah with Approbations from very knowledgable Rabbis big smile mini

How observant are you, what extra mitzvos do you take on, in addition to your Noahide obligations? If you do do extra ones (I braid bread. But I don't say the blessing. Sure I break off the challah but I don't bless it. -- for example). I also used to dress modestly but that kinda died when I outgrew my old modest clothes. I live in sweatpants now lol) How do you like... I guess I want to feel proud to be what I am.

I am so glad that you didn't give up, you do have a life and an identity, it just took a while to get it rediscovered ...... The Rabbis have been working many years and now finally we have two books that give us details and aid us in our day to day lives.... there are more in the works too!

You will find on our website free pdf booklets for prayers, Seventh Day Celebration, Hanukah, Rosh Hashanah Celebration. Everything has been reviewed and approved by the Rabbis who work with us. There are also recordings of our discussion group sessions that are free for download in zip files.

We are Observant Righteous Gentiles (B'nai Noah)

Please do join us for discussion group, I look forward to meeting you... I am Okienoahide2 in the room good

Shalom

Pam

Dvora
by Group Owner on Nov. 17, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Pam I'm terribly sorry! I got you confused with another friend of mine who is also a Noachide and her name is Annie!! Please forgive me.  :)

Do you want to learn more about Judaism? Join our group at Torah and Talk http://www.cafemom.com/group/34625 

OkieNoahide2
by Member on Nov. 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Quoting Dvora:

Pam I'm terribly sorry! I got you confused with another friend of mine who is also a Noachide and her name is Annie!! Please forgive me.  :)

No problems!!!!  girl giving flower

I figured as much.... LOL I am just glad you wrote me  thank you

Shalom

Pam

aridattebayo
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Thank you to the other posters who replied.  This reply is kinda directed toward everyone.

Nice to meet you too.

Currently I am in rural (well the town I live in is surrounded by farmland, and its a tiny town.) Pennsylvania. The closest city with ANYTHING Jewish is Pittsburgh, over 2 hours away. (and I can't drive or catch a bus) I live on the edge of the mountains. It's kinda crummy where I live but once you drive out of town it's beautiful in the mountains.

So that'd be 9 pm my time...  would I fit in there? I've never really talked to other noahides, I was on an ml but it was just a bunch of men fighting and one guy who spammed. And I feel so awkward.

It's hard. Oh, I dl'ed the free stuff off the website, and I'm working through reading it in my free time. Very interesting.

I guess I'm not as up on noahide as I thought I was. I've tried to be observant but it's hard when you are left to your own devices with books and nobody explains it well (so far anyway). What do you do to be considered observant in your everyday life? (And I don't mean "we follow the seven laws" I mean practical, slice of life stuff I can do too.) I didn't have much teaching on being Noahide in every day activities. :( I also really wanted to make my own prayerbook, but haven't had time or energy or resources.

Oh a footnote: When I was hardcore studying before I had my daughter in Michigan, where I lived at the time (my rabbi at the time was Chabad-Lubavitch), I used to pray in the morning and before bed, dressed relatively modest, did not eat pork (I didn't eat much meat anyway at the time), no seafood or shell fish, and ... read alot of books. They actually had a noahide book at the library near my house, I think it was Path of the Righteous Gentile by Chaim Clorfine (I can't spell his name). That book was complicated and over my head, but informative.

Thanks in advance! I'm looking for simple ways I can live as a Noahide and be able to pass on to my daughter (she will be 2 in January). So I can lead a more faith-based life, definately! :)

Quoting OkieNoahide2:

Shalom,

I am not Annie....LOL I am Pam :-) Devora did write to to me, I am not sure why I am not being notified when there is a new post :-( Any way i am most happy to meet you!!

where do you live? I am in oklahoma but I know many observant B'nai Noah all over the globe :-)

I don't really recommend Michael's book, it is good for references but he puts too much of his own opinion in it which can be confusing.

Our website is www.okbns.org we are working with Rabbi Yoel Schwartz, Rabbi Yechiel Sitzman and Rabbi Dov and Rebbetzin Dreidyl (his wife).

We have weekly discussion group at www.virtualyeshiva.com Tuesdays, 8pm Central time in the "Noah Chat" room.

Our primary sources for our discussions are the “Service from the Heart; Renewing the Ancient Path of Biblical Prayer and Service” and “The Divine Code Vol.1” along with other traditional sources of information as deemed appropriate by Rabbi Dov and Rebbetzin Dreidyl, as well as information from rabbis who are known to be knowledgeable in Noahide Halacha

both of these books are published specifically for B'nai Noah with Approbations from very knowledgable Rabbis big smile mini

I am so glad that you didn't give up, you do have a life and an identity, it just took a while to get it rediscovered ...... The Rabbis have been working many years and now finally we have two books that give us details and aid us in our day to day lives.... there are more in the works too!

You will find on our website free pdf booklets for prayers, Seventh Day Celebration, Hanukah, Rosh Hashanah Celebration. Everything has been reviewed and approved by the Rabbis who work with us. There are also recordings of our discussion group sessions that are free for download in zip files.

Please do join us for discussion group, I look forward to meeting you... I am Okienoahide2 in the room good

Shalom

Pam

~ Ari ~
mommy to Arianna Madison, 1/15/07 and fur baby cat Jezebel (1/1/06)

~I need a nap, un!!~

Dvora
by Group Owner on Nov. 17, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Ari,

I think its great that you are doing this. The site the Pam recommended is a great place to get started. I also think you will feel very comfortable in those classes on the web. I wish you luck. Please do not hesitate to come here for support and questions!

OkieNoahide2
by Member on Nov. 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Shalom,

I can't imagine why you wouldn't fit in, we are all of us learning and no one is perfect. The discussion group is wonderful in that we have rabbinical oversight and each other to talk to and learn with. There are a few that come who are about your age I believe and you would find support of a community even though we are scattered. Please do come and at least give it a try :-)

www.virtualyeshiva.com Noah Chat room...... I look forward to seeing you there ;-)

Shalom

Pam

Quoting aridattebayo:

Thank you to the other posters who replied.  This reply is kinda directed toward everyone.

Nice to meet you too.

Currently I am in rural (well the town I live in is surrounded by farmland, and its a tiny town.) Pennsylvania. The closest city with ANYTHING Jewish is Pittsburgh, over 2 hours away. (and I can't drive or catch a bus) I live on the edge of the mountains. It's kinda crummy where I live but once you drive out of town it's beautiful in the mountains.

So that'd be 9 pm my time...  would I fit in there? I've never really talked to other noahides, I was on an ml but it was just a bunch of men fighting and one guy who spammed. And I feel so awkward.

It's hard. Oh, I dl'ed the free stuff off the website, and I'm working through reading it in my free time. Very interesting.

I guess I'm not as up on noahide as I thought I was. I've tried to be observant but it's hard when you are left to your own devices with books and nobody explains it well (so far anyway). What do you do to be considered observant in your everyday life? (And I don't mean "we follow the seven laws" I mean practical, slice of life stuff I can do too.) I didn't have much teaching on being Noahide in every day activities. :( I also really wanted to make my own prayerbook, but haven't had time or energy or resources.

Oh a footnote: When I was hardcore studying before I had my daughter in Michigan, where I lived at the time (my rabbi at the time was Chabad-Lubavitch), I used to pray in the morning and before bed, dressed relatively modest, did not eat pork (I didn't eat much meat anyway at the time), no seafood or shell fish, and ... read alot of books. They actually had a noahide book at the library near my house, I think it was Path of the Righteous Gentile by Chaim Clorfine (I can't spell his name). That book was complicated and over my head, but informative.

Thanks in advance! I'm looking for simple ways I can live as a Noahide and be able to pass on to my daughter (she will be 2 in January). So I can lead a more faith-based life, definately! :)

Quoting OkieNoahide2:

Shalom,

where do you live? I am in oklahoma but I know many observant B'nai Noah all over the globe :-)

We have weekly discussion group at http://www.virtualyeshiva.com/ Tuesdays, 8pm Central time in the "Noah Chat" room.

Our primary sources for our discussions are the “Service from the Heart; Renewing the Ancient Path of Biblical Prayer and Service” and “The Divine Code Vol.1” along with other traditional sources of information as deemed appropriate by Rabbi Dov and Rebbetzin Dreidyl, as well as information from rabbis who are known to be knowledgeable in Noahide Halacha

Please do join us for discussion group, I look forward to meeting you... I am Okienoahide2 in the room good

Shalom

Pam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)