Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little confused

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 626 Total Views

Is this a religion or just a following? Also do they celebrate holidays? Is this like being Jewish with out really being Jewish? What would these people who follow this be called. Sorry I am so lost on this but I have learning disabilities and I am so confused.

by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Dvora
by Group Owner on Jan. 11, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Bubbles,

Great questions! I'm sure Pam will be here soon to answer all of them. She is our expert on this topic. I have her on here to answer everyones questions.

I'll make sure she gets to yours :)

Do you want to learn more about Judaism? Join our group at Torah and Talk http://www.cafemom.com/group/34625 

Dvora
by Group Owner on Jan. 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

One last thing. I suggest you go through the other posts to see some answers that have already been given. They are very informative.

Do you want to learn more about Judaism? Join our group at Torah and Talk http://www.cafemom.com/group/34625 

OkieNoahide2
by Member on Jan. 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Shalom,

I appologize for taking so long to reply, I have been out of town.

Being a Noahide (Righteous Gentile) is not a religion.

Hashem instituted ONE True "religion" for all of humanity with Israel as the Priests. Although we are not Jewish, we are the non-Jews in Judaism. Meaning we live by the Torah as it applies to us with Israel as our teachers.

There are some noahides who for IRS purposes classify themselves as a religion, but the rabbis have clearly explained to us that it is not a religion ;-)

We as noahides have the freedom to celebrate the Holy Days and most do but it is not required. Those of us who do celebrate them don't do so as Israel does as we are not Israel :-) so we Honor more than Observe.

It is not like being Jewish although we are very Jew friendly :-)  but Hashem never intended for the 70 nations to become Jewish, we each of us have our own personalities as do our differring nations..... but all nations will one day worship Hashem the right way with Israel as our Priests to guide us.

Most call themselves B'nai Noah (Decendants of Noah), Noahide, or Righteous Gentiles ( This is my preference as this is what we aspire to.

I hope this helps

Shalom

Pam

Dvora
by Group Owner on Jan. 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Quoting OkieNoahide2:

Shalom,

I appologize for taking so long to reply, I have been out of town.

Being a Noahide (Righteous Gentile) is not a religion.

Hashem instituted ONE True "religion" for all of humanity with Israel as the Priests. Although we are not Jewish, we are the non-Jews in Judaism. Meaning we live by the Torah as it applies to us with Israel as our teachers.

There are some noahides who for IRS purposes classify themselves as a religion, but the rabbis have clearly explained to us that it is not a religion ;-)

We as noahides have the freedom to celebrate the Holy Days and most do but it is not required. Those of us who do celebrate them don't do so as Israel does as we are not Israel :-) so we Honor more than Observe.

It is not like being Jewish although we are very Jew friendly :-)  but Hashem never intended for the 70 nations to become Jewish, we each of us have our own personalities as do our differring nations..... but all nations will one day worship Hashem the right way with Israel as our Priests to guide us.

Most call themselves B'nai Noah (Decendants of Noah), Noahide, or Righteous Gentiles ( This is my preference as this is what we aspire to.

I hope this helps

Shalom

Pam

Pam,

Thank you so much. This is wonderful information! Thanks again!!

oraleemo
by New Member on May. 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM

The prayer shawls have 70 nations counted as well.  Where does this figure come from?

OkieNoahide2
by Member on May. 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Quoting oraleemo:

The prayer shawls have 70 nations counted as well.  Where does this figure come from?

The Torah given at Sinai was translated into seventy different languages, Israel was commanded by G'D to make sacrifices during Sukkot on behalf of the 70 Nations of the world.

simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)