Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi from Massachusetts

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2008 at 3:12 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
Hi Everyone!!
I'm from Massachusetts. I don't speak any German, well, I can count, that's about it. I've never been, but would love to go someday. I've only seen pictures. My dad and grandmother were born there. I do have a cousin still there, I think, I haven't heard from him in at least 25 years. I grew up knowing alot of my German heritage and hope to do "our" german traditions with my kids. I hope to get to know you..
Heidi
by on Mar. 7, 2008 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CaliLily
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2008 at 5:44 AM
Hi, my husband is half German, and half Pennsylvania Dutch, our last name is German.  We've never visited Germany, but would love to someday. 
heidi_val
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Hey!! My maiden name is German. I'd love to go someday too.
Quoting CaliLily:

Hi, my husband is half German, and half Pennsylvania Dutch, our last name is German.  We've never visited Germany, but would love to someday. 
CaliLily
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Heidi,

Can you share some of your German traditions?  My husband's family is small and they all live in the midwest, we're in California, but he has family with the same last name in other states that I've never met.  He has never met most of them either, so our daughter has only been exposed to my mother in law and sister in law and those visits are not very frequent.

My mother in law is Pennsylvania Dutch so she's shared her family recipes and cooking, and my father in law passed away when my husband was very young, so he only remembers a few words in German. 

I'd appreciate anything you can share with me, thanks!

Cyndi
liebchen-alma
by Member on May. 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Hi Heidi!

I'm Heidi. My daughter and mother's names are also Heidi! My parents left Germany in the late 50's. My father dreamt of becoming a "Hollywood cowboy", and my mother just wanted a different life... long story there. Where were your grandparents from? My father's from Pforzheim, in the Schwarzwald, and my mother was born in Dettmold. I've been many times to visit all my family in Germany, and it's a big part of who I am, how I am, and my family/home. My children also love Germany very much. I'm in California. I'm glad you found our group!
heidi_val
by on May. 26, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Quoting liebchen-alma:

Hi Heidi!

I'm Heidi. My daughter and mother's names are also Heidi! My parents left Germany in the late 50's. My father dreamt of becoming a "Hollywood cowboy", and my mother just wanted a different life... long story there. Where were your grandparents from? My father's from Pforzheim, in the Schwarzwald, and my mother was born in Dettmold. I've been many times to visit all my family in Germany, and it's a big part of who I am, how I am, and my family/home. My children also love Germany very much. I'm in California. I'm glad you found our group!

Hi...My father and grandmother were born in Berlin. They are both gone now, but I love doing their traditions and such. I'm hoping to get to Germany one day....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)