Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

finding time to pump???

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 531 Total Views

my baby is 4 weeks old and is not easily entertainable...I have yet to find something that holds her attention long enough to get in a pump session...anyone have any tips? I find it difficult to get my pump sessions in during the day time hours when she is awake.

She just went down for a nap so I'm off to pump!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mybabybug
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM

HI I had the similar problems.  I tried to put him asleep before I pumped. If he was awake, i put his swing in front of him so he would be OK looking at me while pump i was near him and i could rock him with my feet. But there was times he woke up and cried while i pumped so i was helpless. Good Luck..It does get better!!! I am still pumping at 6 months...

CafeMom Tickers
CancelosiMom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I know that this has been one of the biggest challenges for me as well.

I've tried to do as much of my pumping as possible when my daughter is sleeping, but when she's awake I try to keep her right next to me in a bouncy seat, swing or (when she got a little older) a bumbo seat.

One thing that can help is if you can get your hands free, either with one of those fancy pumping bras or just an old bra that you cut holes in, then you are free to comfort or entertain your baby. I would keep a basket full of baby toys and colorful pictures to show my daughter and also I've been able to occasionally hold her pacifier or bottle up to her mouth when she wanted it.

I know that it can feel like a lot of work but I hope you can just take it one pumping session at a time. My daughter just turned 10 months old and I feel like I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (my goal is to pump until her first birthday). Good luck!

blessingAH
by Member on Apr. 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I put my baby on his crib and have lots of toys near me so I can show them to him, I also try singing, making funny noises, jumping!!!!lol EVERYTHING for him to stay calm at least a  couple of minutes, and sometimes I have to stop the session because he starts crying....so I TOTALLY feel you. I have been EP for 5 months now :)

pumpingmomma1
by Member on May. 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I also have a 4 week old.  Right now I have been depending on my husband to help entertain my son but he will be going back to work tomorrow.  I am really nervous about how to make it work.  I plan on trying to pump right after he eats as this is a time he is most content.  He likes listening to musical toys so I plan on trying to sit him in the bouncy seat that has music or laying him beside me on the activity mat.  Good luck and keep me posted with any new ideas.

handsfreemom
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Don't worry you're still setting the sechedule and establishing a supply for pumping so it can seem a little tough and sometimes crazy the next few weeks - it gets better I promise!

Typically I tried to pump right before my LO woke up. I got a hands free bra from www.handsfreepumpbra.com (two actually - because I hate constantly doing laundry) .  They worked great because then I could play games or pick up my baby while I was pumping.  I wore mine all the time under my shirt and it worked great for going back to work - it made me feel way more productive.

GL!

jninil
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I pump with the hands free bra too and it allows me to hold my LO, feed my LO, or entertain her.  However I found when she cries and I have to stop a pumping session to hold her close it's not a bad thing (depending on how long it takes to calm her).  I discovered that if I stopped for 5-10 min then started back pumping again I would actually get more from that pumping session.  (Sounds like I was partially doing a power pumping session without even knowing it!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)