Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hands on pumping... Has anyone tried this?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 346 Total Views

I read this article about hands on pumping and wanted to know if any of you have tried this and if so have you seen a significant increase?  I am just a couple of weeks in and so far have been able to keep up with my little guy but I am hoping to see an increase soon so I can cut back a little on my 10-12 pumping sessions a day.  Also he is pigging out now at about 24+ ounces a day... I am afraid I won't be able to keep up with him if he continues to increase how much he eats daily.

Let me know if you have tried this or if you have any other advice about increasing supply and when to cut back on a session...

http://pumpingtimes.com/2010/01/05/increase-your-milk-productin-with-hands-on-pumping/#more-112

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrisUribeRN
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 4:33 AM

I have a low milk supply so I am always looking for ways to increase my milk. I will definately have to try this! I double pump but I have never thought to hand pump after my pumping session. Great post! Thanks =)

owensmyboy
by Member on Jul. 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Well, I have been trying the massage while pumping for a couple of days... not seeing a huge increase yet but it certainly isn't hurting anything...

ashley_hatty
by on Jul. 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My little one at 5 weeks is only eating about 10 ounces a day from a bottle and having 2 Breast sessions--- WOW! 24ounces!! 

owensmyboy
by Member on Jul. 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM
Oh yes, he is definitely pigging out. I keep hopping it is a growth spurt, we will see. He has to top off at some point. So far I am pumping about 35 ounces a day and he just turned 3 weeks so I am hoping to get over the 40 ounce mark so I am a bit more ahead of him =).
tyheamma
by Member on Jul. 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I'd love to be getting 35 oz a day. My NICU baby is 10 weeks old and was full-term at birth. I get about 24 oz on a good day with really diligent pumping.

owensmyboy
by Member on Jul. 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Well, I have been trying the hands on pumping but I am not sure if I have been getting anymore for my efforts. I just started logging how much I am producing this week. I am working very hard though to stay on top of my pumping every day. I pump most days 9 times. I am holding out for that 12 week mark... Just over 8 weeks to go!
PrisUribeRN
by on Jul. 31, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Pumped this morning and did the hand pumping after. I got 1/2 a oz. Just shows I wasn't completely empty. Just started today so I'm hoping to see a increase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkerbelli
by on Jul. 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Quoting owensmyboy:

Oh yes, he is definitely pigging out. I keep hopping it is a growth spurt, we will see. He has to top off at some point. So far I am pumping about 35 ounces a day and he just turned 3 weeks so I am hoping to get over the 40 ounce mark so I am a bit more ahead of him =).

Yes, babies do go through a growth spurt at 3 weeks! Its, True.  Don't worry too much about that!  A baby needs about an ounce and hour.  So 2oz every 2 hours or 3oz every 3 hours.  You may be overfeeding...which can give him a false idea of how much he thinks he needs.  Babies have a strong need to suck...and on the breast sometimes they do this without actually eating...it is soothing for them.  Try feeding only 2-2.5oz and giving a paci to pacify his need to suck.  As babies get older they don't nessesarily eat more in a day...they just eat more in a sitting and can go longer periods of time between feedings...then you are including other foods and cereals as well. 

I do squeeze my breasts as I double pump...and it does help.  I hold my breast in the "c" hold and squeeze starting at the top and working my way down...I apply good pressure but not enough that it hurts.

owensmyboy
by Member on Jul. 31, 2010 at 8:57 PM

We have tried to give him the pacifier, he doesn't really seem to like it.  He sucks a little then spits it out and cries...  usually until we give him more to eat.  But we are being very diligent about trying to give it to him mulitple times a day so he gets used to it. 

He has a tendency to want to eat very often during the day.  And then late at night.  I really want to work on getting him into more of a routine eating about 3 oz every 3 hours instead of 1.5 then waking up an hour later wanting more.  Any advice on getting him into a routine would be helpful.  He is going to be 4 weeks in 3 days... is this realistic to think we can start working in some sort of a schedule...  At what point can we try that?

tinkerbelli
by on Jul. 31, 2010 at 11:24 PM
I bet you'll see a difference in another week or so...soon he will come up with his own schedule (good luck trying to do work one out for him). His tummy is so small right now...1.5oz may be all that will fit in his tummy at a time. In time his tummy will grow and he will be able to fit more at a time and go longer periods between feedings. Right now his tummy is the size of a large egg. It is normal for them to want to eat a lot at night and be a bit fussier. They are doing whats called a "cluster feeding" preparing their bodies for longer sleeping periods at a time. Hang in there...you are doing such a good thing for your baby...so sacrificial and loving...someday we will look back on this time and forget how difficult it was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)