Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I decided to exclusively pump after a couple weeks of BF'ing because I thought it would be easier, and because I had to go back to work so I had to pump some eventually anyway. The only easy part about it is when you have company its better to be able to feed w/ a bottle vs going into another room to BF. This is my first baby so I didnt realize how much work pumping is, cleaning bottles, warming bottles, pumping on the go, bringing a cooler w/ bottles, etc. Needless to say with my next one I will try to only pump a couple times a day to get the baby used to the bottle and BF the rest of the time. 

Anyway, I am back to work now and still exclusively pumping. My DD is 10 1/2 wks old now and we have been doing formula bottles at night for a couple weeks now because my supply was not enough to keep up with her demand. Now even with the formula bottles at night, I am still not able to keep up with her. She eats approx 4 oz every 3-4 hrs and I am only pumping 1.5oz every 3-4 hrs. I have tried cluster/power pumping, eating oatmeal, fenugreek (gave baby extreme gas & fussiness), drinking lots of water, mothers milk tea (couldnt stand the taste & it didnt even work), etc etc etc. I was pumping every 2-3 hrs during the day before I was back to work but now that is impossible. I pump every 3-4 hrs now. She is going longer at night and I am not setting my alarm for fear that I will set my alarm for 2am and pump, go back to bed at 2:30 and then she would wake up at 3 and I get virtually no sleep and have to go to a very demanding job the next day.

I am pretty much out of options at this point and we are going to have to start supplementing w/ formula b/c my freezer stash is officially gone. :( If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!! My original plan was to do this for 6 months and I cant believe I might have to already throw in the towel. I'm so depressed!!!

by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM
Replies (11-14):
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I pumped for 7 months and was never able to get my supply up to the amount my DD was eating. But I was convinced that eating half breastmilk and half formula was WAY better for her than only formula.

The best advice, like others have said, is pump often. 8-10 times per day!

floridamomma7
by Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. Right now we are doing breast milk all during the day and a formula bottle before bed & if/when she wakes up in the middle of the night. I am pumping 6-7 times a day. I have a very demanding job & I'm in a million meetings every day so its really hard to fit them all in but I am trying! I am also power/cluster pumping every night. So far that hasnt increased my supply. I am drinking a ton of water, eating oatmeal every day (sometimes multiple times a day), taking a warm shower before I power pump, massaging while I pump, eating plenty of calories, & I have tried fenugreek and it gave my DD bad gas. The next thing I am going to try is Blessed Thistle by itself but we are waiting to see how she is reacting to this formula. If she starts to be gassy/fussy I want to make sure we arent guessing if its the formula or the blessed thistle so hopefully next week I can start the supplement. 

Anyway - I am thinking that some breast milk is better than none and I am going to try my best to stick this out!

Quoting Bethbeth:

I pumped for 7 months and was never able to get my supply up to the amount my DD was eating. But I was convinced that eating half breastmilk and half formula was WAY better for her than only formula.

The best advice, like others have said, is pump often. 8-10 times per day!

floridamomma7
by Member on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Bump

MaiasMommy619
by Group Admin on Apr. 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Quoting MixedCooke:

and what does a protein drink have to do with breastmilk production?

Protein is an important nutrient due to its role in the growth, maintenance, and repair of cells in the body. Protein can't be stored in the body, so it’s important to have a daily intake of various proteins. Although many women know to increase their intake of protein, it is equally important to have adequate amounts while you're breastfeeding. There are amts that suggest that approximately 65 grams of protein a day are required. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN