Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and have a question....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

Hi ladies my name is Erin. I am married with a 3 year old son and a son that was just born on June 20th. The new baby would not latch for me and due to him having jaundice, I had to end up pumping and give it to him in a bottle. I pump about every 4 hours for 10 minutes and for some reason my supply seems to be decreasing. I try to drink plenty of fluids. Is there anything else I can do to build the milk back up? I had to start doing formula at night cause I am not getting enough now. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance =]

expecting babypregnant belly Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and expecting baby #2. mod

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shaunalynn25
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM
I would say every two hours and at for 20 minutes. That should help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SherriPie
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Definitely every 2 hours (3 hours at the longest between pumps, maybe at night), and pump for no less than 15-20 minutes even if you're not getting anything out.  This will trigger your breasts to start making more milk.

Try eating oatmeal everyday, drink lots of water all day long.  When you pump, try to massage your breasts during the session, even at the end because you'll get a bit more out.

4healthyeats
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM

what they said... hydration, protein, adequate rest, being relaxed and frequent emptying of the jugs are key.

drinking more liquids beyond hydration won't make more milk. but more frequent longer pumping can signal the brain to step it up. there are hormones that are released during sleep/naps that increase supply... this is why i still get up to pump once during the night when those hormones are their highest even though baby sleeps thru night... it will help with long term supply.

protein helps give body building blocks for making milk. make sure to eat good healthy foods and plenty of protein... i have found 2 days after eating a extra protein i get more milk than baby can handle. yay for extra frozen leftovers.lol. besides oatmeal there is also quinoa (a grain that contains complete proteins) vegetables and poultry/meat.

it might help to have a nice protein filled meal ( a nice piece of chicken with quinoa and a bunch of sauted veggies like zucchini, squash, carrots, spinach, kale), have someone (spouse/family) watch kiddos so you can take a nap/sleep then wake up and pump.

Good luck!

UpstateAnnette
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Everyone is giving great advice.  I also drank "Mothers Milk" tea  a few cups every day.  It has many of the common herbs to increase production and you should be able to find it at most health food stores.   I also found it at Target for less.    You did not mention what type of pump you have.  If you plan on pumping long term you will need to have a double electric pump.    Good Luck!!!

expectantmom81
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Thankyou so much. I will try those suggestions.

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM

8-10 times a day for 20 minutes for sure!

Charli627
by Group Owner on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM
What every one else said. And maybe fenugreek.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)