• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, Im new to the group

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 198 Total Views

my name is Krystal, I am from Utah. I have a 6 year old boy named Andre and another little boy on the way who's name will be Porter. I am 25 weeks along.

I am hoping to pump exclusively and i am glad to be in this group to get some support. i didnt pump or breastfeed the last time and so i dont know much about it.

i would like to know if only pumping is hard, or if i have a chance. i do work full time and probably still will after the baby is born. any advice you have i would sure appreciate it.

i look forward to meeting you all, and thanks for all the support in advance! (:

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Yes pumping is HARD. I think harder than normal breastfeeding. 

Since a lot of women cannot keep a full supply with only pumping, it would really help if you could nurse the first few weeks before you go back to work, and/or nurse nights/weekends when you're not working.

With ep'ing you would need to pump 8-10 times per day (and during the night too) for about 20 mintues each time. I did get a hands free pumping bra, and used that to even pump while driving, which saved a ton of time. 

The tough thing about ep'ing is that you have to pump, feed your baby with a bottle, and then wash pump parts and bottles. By the time you finish all that it's time to start again. When you go out of the house you have to pack your pump and pump parts, and bottles of milk....instead of just bringing your boobs! Plus it's more work to defrost milk and prepare bottles each time your babe needs one.

But it can be done if that is what you choose. Most of us in the group had to ep because our little one was not able to nurse due to some medical condition. Most of us WISH we could have nursed the normal way. But if you choose this path we will definitely be here to encourage and support. Many women make it a whole year of ep'ing!  

Mrs.Worthen71
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:19 AM
Thank you so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by Group Owner on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Welcome to the group. And yes pumping can be hard. I agree with Bethbeth and trying bfing at least till you go back to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)