Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being a baby?? basically just venting.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 545 Total Views

I needed to post this question in this group. I just want to know how many of you ladies think this situation I am in is do-able. I was recently served with a subpoena to travel from GA to TX on two different occasions. I have said Im trying to comply but its going to be extremely difficult for me because I am breastfeeding but only pumping so I am bottle feeding the breastmilk. I actually dont have to much of a reserve anyhow. So they offered to let me bring my kids. I have my 10 week old and a 3 year old as well. And my husband is active duty.  Anyhow.. I have traveled while pumping with my first child but I had my husband there. So how many of you ladies would be able  to make it work (with two connecting flights I believe). So trying to find a convenient spot to pump while keeping the baby somewhere in a stroller and who know where my toddler would be. And then making sure I am able to feed him after the pump session as well. I just went to this legal site for some advice and was basically blasted. I was told How about formula???? Umm  really?? You can do that. There is obviously a reason I breastfeed my child. I had to quit with my first child due to deploying to iraq which is why it was important with this one for me.. and obviously I didnt forsee a subpoena coming. Chances are I will be going there, and if I do I just dont think it will be manageable. because I will be getting clogged ducts from the flight durations and what not... anyways.. if you have extremely negative things to say.. just say it nicely.. I heard enough crap on that other site.. :) 

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SherriPie
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

If you're flying, what about pumping on the flight?  You'll just be hanging out anyway so perhaps they would give you a row to yourself or put you in first class temporarily or somewhere a bit private.  Then you don't have to try to find time to pump.  Or taking a manual pump to pump on the flight and feed the baby on the flight as well.

I definitely think it's doable, just stressful probably.  You could also call ahead to the airport where you'll have a layover and see how they accomodate nursing/pumping mothers.  Ask if there is someone who can be available when you land to assist you with finding a place.

Just because you may be on the flight awhile doesn't mean you'll get clogged ducts.  it doesn't automatically happen.

candylynn701
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Yeah I see what you are saying. I could see if somehow they would accomodate first class. If not, it would not be very modest if there were people next to me. I suppose it is do-able. But if i didnt have someone with me I would not be able to tend to my toddler in an open airport (while I was pumping/feeding). At home its a bit different. He's at the age where of course he runs everywhere.. I have a stroller for my baby but not a double stroller which I cannot afford. But thanks for the advice

SherriPie
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Does your 3-year-old have something that would keep him occupied while you were pumping/feeding in the airport...like a handheld video game or portable DVD player.  Maybe you could grab some food and let him eat while you're pumping?

candylynn701
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Yeah he does.. he'll sit with the itouch for a period of time. His attention span doesnt ALWAYS last that long.. but sometimes. Its just a stressful situation for me. I think it will come down to someone will need to fly with me to help.. or else I will have to stop. Not because of being lazy. . but because of the sheer time constraints with all I would need to get done in between each flight.. the whole feeding changing diapers pumping cleaning session will just be too hard for me to handle. Ive traveled with my children before.. with my baby while pumping (but just my baby) then two children on an international flight (not pumping). We got stuck in the ATL airport for over 12 hours.. what a sucky time. I ran out of diapers for my 1 year old. Anywhooo.. I really was venting about this situation trying to see how many people find this situation easy. If I have a friend or my husband there.. yes .. totally possible. Otherwise.. for me I would need a whole lot of medication to make it thru.. lol

Zacksmama82411
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
i think youcan do it!! :) good luck lady!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danielleeexo
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that it is possible but would probably be very difficult. It seems like you have a very difficult decision to make. I think that it may be easier to hand pump while you're on the flight, both kids will be in their seats so you won't have to worry about your oldest to possibly run off or anything. For me personally I can go 5-6 hours between pumpings without getting clogged ducts. You could try spacing out your sessions a little bit before you leave so your body will be used to it. Good luck!!

angelmommy11
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it sucks but it's doable. I'd make them get a seat for the baby and the toddler. Then you'd have a row and more space. I personally would hand pump on the flight to relieve the pressure but wait to really pump til I was on the other side. I'd take some galactagogues in case my supply dipped due to the stress.

I'd petition the court to let you come only once instead of twice. If one of those times is for a deposition then they can come to you I would think.

I would explain lack of child care and bring my mom or a friend to help.

Good luck! I'd be venting too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candylynn701
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Thanks so much ladies. :-) :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CourtneyCS
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I would tell them if they want you to be there then they have to make all of the arrangements and reserve spots for you to pump at, maybe get you a hotel in between flights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)