Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here!! and need some help/advice/words of encouragment!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 423 Total Views
Okay, hello ladies! I'm lorena 25 mom of 2 and a step mom to 1. 4(sd) 2(dd) and 9days (ds) okay.. So with my 1st I didn't get to latch and my milk supply was not there so didn't breast feed, I was devstated. This time around my poor baby was in the NICU from birth to day 5 and I had a c-section, so coulnt go to the nicu to feed him, I pumped. When I did get to see/feed him (he had tubes in him) he was 3days old. I got him to latch however with his jaundice and preemie mentality he's a very very "lazy eater" as nurses desribe him. I had him latched 15 mins and he may've actually sucked 3 mins. So I pumped and bottle fed! I try @ least 2-48 a day to latch him just to help milk supply but today I pumped when I woke up and barely got 2oz combined! When before I was getting 2oz plus additional 25-40ml extra. How can I keep my milk supply up?!?? I eat oatmeal every morning and drinking as much water as I can talke 4-5 water bottles I know mot a gallon but jeez I'm not a drinker

Help?!
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2bkayleesmommy
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenluv37
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I drink the Mother's Milk tea by Traditional Medicinals. I feel like it helps me pump an extra ounce or two every time I pump. But I'm 6 months in, so it is a little different. When I first gave birth I was only pumping 2-3 oz too. And I'd pump for 30-40 minutes! It just takes time to build your supply. You'll get there. Don't give up!

Caroline2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Sometimes I would drink a protien drink it helpped my supply! I started off pumping every 2 hrs around the clock for 25min or so! Make sure u r eating and drinking a lot! I ep for 18months so u can do it! It takes time to build ur full supply! Just keep pumping!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Keep eatin the oatmeal its good for you (and your supply) and good job with the water
Make sure you're eating enough through the day....I notice if I don't eat enough my supply goes down
You can take fenugreek...its an herbal supplement you can get at places like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe
but I recommend "More Milk Special Blend" by motherlove...you can find it on amazon.com for $28 for a 120pills
it has fenugreek in it, and blessed thistle and a bunch of other herbs that are supposed to help with supply...and it really does!!!
Hmmm try to rest...being overtired can hurt your supply
Oh and when you pump take something the baby wore...something that smells like baby and lay it on your shoulder...its supposed to help with letdown

SherriPie
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If you're exclusively pumping, I would make sure you're pumping about every 2 hours.  You're going to feel like that's all you get done.  Haev extra bottles and pump parts so you don't spend all your time washing.  The point is to get your supply boosted and doing.  Hopefully you'll see an increase even in a few days of doing that.

kelly617
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Oh yah...and don't stress if you have a bad day and it seems like your supply is failing..I have days like that and then the next day it goes back up...the stress only makes it worse!

Babyshoe
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

The ladies gave you great tips. I wanted to add that you can stick your pump pieces in the fridge between sessions so you don't have to clean them as often. That helped me a lot, especially at night (we have a small fridge in our bedroom). It took me awhile to build a supply, so try to stay calm about the amount you're pumping. Also, massage and squeeze often. Hand express as you're pumping too to get more emptied. Also, make sure you have the right sized flanges (horns for pump). Even though my boobs aren't super big, I did better with large flanges (mediums come with most pumps). GL!!!!!

2bkayleesmommy
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM
So I've been trying my best to pump 2hrs in the day and 3 hrs @ night. I'm good @ night cuz I do it everytime the baby wakes up.. Durring the day is hard!! Wut do u ladies do when u have other kids and a million things going on? If ur 2hr mark falls when ur picking up kids from school or buying new shoes for the kids @ the mall? I can't pump in old navy!!! :( haha.. Just trying to understand how ya do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2bkayleesmommy
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I pump 10-15mins cuz I was told to pump 2 mins after I stop having milk flow out.... I'm getting only 25-35ml per breast (2oz total or a little less) really wanna boost it to 2 oz each

Quoting jenluv37:

I drink the Mother's Milk tea by Traditional Medicinals. I feel like it helps me pump an extra ounce or two every time I pump. But I'm 6 months in, so it is a little different. When I first gave birth I was only pumping 2-3 oz too. And I'd pump for 30-40 minutes! It just takes time to build your supply. You'll get there. Don't give up!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM
I pump in the car with my nursing cover while my husband is driving. Everyone is contained in their seats so no run aways lol. During the day me and baby just come to our bedroom while my older son watches tv. I tell him i have to go make bottles and he says ok.

Quoting 2bkayleesmommy:

So I've been trying my best to pump 2hrs in the day and 3 hrs @ night. I'm good @ night cuz I do it everytime the baby wakes up.. Durring the day is hard!! Wut do u ladies do when u have other kids and a million things going on? If ur 2hr mark falls when ur picking up kids from school or buying new shoes for the kids @ the mall? I can't pump in old navy!!! :( haha.. Just trying to understand how ya do it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)