Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrating Pediatrician

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 383 Total Views

My son is 4 months old, and I exclusively pump. I tried nursing for weeks after he was born and he would just scream (NICU gave him FAST FLOW nipples even though they knew I wanted to bf), and it was so frustrating. But every time I take him to the pediatrician, she asks what kind of formula he's on. I say he's not on formula, and she asks how often he's latching on. EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have to tell her that he never latched on, that I have to pump and bottle feed. It still upsets me that I can't breastfeed, and every time he's at the pediatrician, it gets brought up. His chart says that he's bottlefed breastmilk, so I don't know WHY she continues to ask over and over again. It almost puts me in tears every time.

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM
I get asked that too, I just say every 3-4 hours, or whatever your bottle schedule is, she doesn't need to know the details of how you breastfeed, it's none of her business. Don't let this bring you down, you are doing an amazing job, at 4 months, most people are feeding their babies formula. You have too many reasons to be proud of yourself.
The pediatrician has no idea that this bothers you, so she just asks these things out of habit.
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

You are doing a great job giving your baby milk. You are breastfeeding. Often I would just say I was breastfeeding and not go into details.

I'm sorry your Dr. is bothering you so much. Most Dr's don't know much about breastfeeding anyway.

OKmommy85
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

My dr's Nurse asked me the same questions at my daughters 4week appt. I told her that she drinks breastmilk. And whe she asked how the breastfeeding was going, i told her that i pumped due to a bad latch in the begining and she told me that i needed to keep trying. I told her that I was already back at work and it just didnt make sense to try, as i work full time. Then she told me to try and do it on the weekends. I told her ma'am, the pumping is working great. She's growing and healthy and that i have no intentions on ever getting her back to the breast. And she dropped the conversation. i go back next week for her a 2months check.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry.  The same thing happens to me quite often with a doctor taht isn't my son's normal one.  They tell me things about formula feeding, etc and what to expect.  I tell them that its breastmilk and sometimes they loko at me funny LOL.  But, after a few seconds it makes sense to them.  Apparently, us EPers are few and far between.  Perhaps they cannot believe the dedication we go through to provide our babies with breastmilk :)

dahliapetal
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

How frustrating! I'm lucky in that my daughter's doctor is actually proud of the fact I EP, she does tell me to keep trying the breast though. She mainly wants me to keep trying the breast so feedings are more convienent for me. She attributes my daughters good health to her getting breast milk.

teal.blaze
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM

It was just getting too emotional for me. I couldn't breast feed, and I pretty much sat on the couch crying all day. I couldn't keep trying anymore.It was easier on me to just pump, but the pediatrician keeps bringing up the fact that I can't breastfeed. It's not about telling her that he doesn't latch on, it's that she asks in the first place. Look at his stupid charts and just ask how much he's eating and how often. It's right in front of her face!

Quoting dahliapetal:

How frustrating! I'm lucky in that my daughter's doctor is actually proud of the fact I EP, she does tell me to keep trying the breast though. She mainly wants me to keep trying the breast so feedings are more convienent for me. She attributes my daughters good health to her getting breast milk.

dahliapetal
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I'm sorry dear, that is hard.

Babyshoe
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm frustrated that I can't bf either, but I'm proud as hell that I'm ep! Be proud of all the time and dedication that you are doing for your child. Say it proudly to your doctor next time and share how excited you are that you are able to give all breast milk! Hugs Momma!!!

Zacksmama82411
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:14 AM
2 moms liked this
i hear ya mama, the older nurse at the drs ask everytime (maybe incase it changes?) and she just says bottle or breast? and im like bottle full of breast and she looks at me like i have ten heads! lol when the younger nurse comes in, she remembers and says 'are you still pumping?' when i say yes, she goes (everytime) 'wow, i think its awesome that you are still pumping! i tried and only got to 2 weeks before i dried up' :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenluv37
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I think it's wonderful that you haven't used any formula. I started supplementing 2-6 oz of formula a day at 3 months along with my breast milk.

My pediatrician asks all the time too. They see so many kids and, like another poster said, EPers are rare and she probably just forgets.

I don't know whether you would want to or not, but it may be possible to BF if you want to try again. I stopped nursing at 4 days due to a terrible latch. I started gushing blood on day 3 and that was pretty much it for me. I thought there was no hope for me to BF ever again. A couple of moms on another CM board suggested I try nursing again and now I BF all the time. He's 6 months old! I never would have tried if it hadn't been for some other CM moms.

But again, that was a personal choice and I completely understand if you don't want to try again. It just may not be right for you. I just wanted to tell you my experience in case it could help you.

Welcome to the group! It's a great place!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN