Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Domperidone

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 666 Total Views

So here is my story...I started breastfeeding the minute he was born....I exclusively breastfed for the first two weeks. He was a vicious nurser...he would bite and his suck was insane it was SO painful. I tried everything to help it, lanolin, shields, different positions...nothing helped. So I went to pumping which is working great. I would have needed to pump anyway because I work full time...
But of course I'm having supply issues. I've tried everythign under the sun; fenugreek, blessed thistle, goats rue, raspberry leaf, brewers yeast, marshmellow....increased pumping, I've even tried to breastfeed again and it didn't help. My supply seems to stay exactly the same no matter what I do. Its weird it seems like I make a certain amount, if I pump every 4 hrs I get 3ish oz..if i pump every 2 hrs I get 1.5oz and if I go more than 4hrs I can get 4-5oz...but its not enough to feed my son who is eating about 3oz every 2-3hrs

I've done research online and everything says that Domperidone is better than reglan...it works better and has less side effects.
Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Did you take the generic version or the real deal? If it worked for you what was your dose?

THANK YOU!

by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jlsn5576
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thank you, I am in the same boat!  I tried breastfeeding the first couple of weeks, it was so painful, more than the pain from after delivery!  We found out within the first week that I was not producing enough.  I would go to lactation consults, and felt stuck! I am interested in finding out what you do!

kelly617
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM

yay another mom in the same boat...I feel for ya
I hate that all the recommendations come down to "breastfeed more" well I can't do that!!! So apparently the only other option is to try the medication..
I'll try it and keep ya updated on how it works

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Look up "jack Newman and Domperidone". He is the master when it comes to information on Domperidone. It is superior to Reglan because of the lack of side effects. It's very very good at increasing milk supply. It's difficult to get here in the US, but you can order it pretty easily online without a prescription. I actually ordered some but only for emergencies, I have to see where I ordered it from. It took almost 3 weeks to arrive.
You can check with your OB and see if she is willing to give you a prescription for it first. If you are interested, I will look and see what website I ordered mine from. The OB may say Reglan will do the same, but please do not take that stuff. As a nurse I witnessed first hand what it did to children, it was horrific. And its well known for inducing severe depression.
kelly617
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I already have a history of anxiety so there is no way I will ever take reglan...I've only heard scary stuff about it

I looked online and found some online canadian pharmacies that let you order it without a prescription...and its not too expensive either....probably less than what I was spending on all the herbal supplements that arent' really doing anything

carolyntx
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I've been taking dom for several months, it's great :) and works best with constant pumping which you're doing so give it a try!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

YAAAAAAAAY!!!
I pump more often than my son even eats....so you'd THINK I'd have tons of milk stored in the freezer..nooope I got NOTHIN
I would be happy just to make enough to get him off the formula....

This so was not my plan

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM

unfortunately many OB's won't prescribe it. But there are a few that will. All them will prescribe reglan, but it has so many more side effects.

My OB did not prescribe it, so I ordered it online.

kelly617
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 3:39 AM

I'm not even gonna bother with my doc...I'm just gonna order it online
I've already tried dealing with my doc, who sent me to an LC...and all they ever say is "nurse more" or "pump more"

I really hate how the LC's just assume that everyone CAN breastfeed. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to breastfeed..I would love to have that time with my son that only I can have. I would love to be able to strap on the moby, toss him in and do the dishes without worrying about sitting down with a bottle. But it just doesn't work for either of us.

sabelponte
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Domperidone is my God send. My supply took a drastic dip at Christmas. I got a prescription and I actually only take 1 tab 4 times daily and I am making roughly 32 oz a day up from 15. Reglan crosses the brain and can cause depression and fatigue. Domperidone doesn't cross the brain and I personally have had zero side effects. I would definitely go with the dom and good luck mooma I hope it helps :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN