Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEW here!! so glad i found this group, hope for good results!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 164 Total Views

So I am a mother of two. My son is 4 1/2 and my daughter 3. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with a severe congenital heart defect baby. I had planned on not breastfeeding early on in my pregnancy, based on my own decision. I had ppd with both of my kids and have major deppression. the breastfeeding made my ppd worst so this time around i was scared to do it again, and then theres the losing your breasts, i know sounds selfish but i struggle with extreme body image along with my deppression. After my son was diognosed at 22 weeks i was starting to reconsider but knew it would only be a possibility if i exclussively pumped and i dont want to pump for a long time. Im thinking 6 weeks pumping, just so he has at least a lil bit of that gold and through his hardest times. So with that said, i want to know how many times i would need to pump during the day (will be at the hospital most ofthe time with him for at least 2 months or more). I dont want to build up a huge supply due to only pumping for 6 weeks or so. Also how do they do the pump at the hospital, i know that while there you can use it, but what about after being discharged? will i be able to use the pump while at the nicu? I had a pump from my last two pregnancies that my sil gave me but after looking at it the otherday its broken and unusable. I will be receiving wic but the last time i tried to get a pump from them because i HAD to have one they advised me that i had to be working in order for them to give me one to use. thanks in advance ladies and please no harsh comments or judgy things about how i should do it longer or something please. im already going through alot with this pregnancy.

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CandiceDanielle
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
As far as I know,they don't let you bring the pump home from the hospital unless you are renting it.
You'd need to pump every 2 hrs during the day and every 3 at night to establish a supply.
Since your son will have a medical problem maybe WIC will make an exception with a doctor's prescription?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM
You can rent a hospital pump! You may want to look into that since you will only be pumping for a short time. My forst son was a nicu baby and wic did give him his special formula with a note from his doc. I pump every 3 hours and usually every four at night for 15 minutes and have established a pretty good supply. If there is anything left over you can freeze and donate or use it for your baby after you stop pumping. It stays good for 6 months in the freezer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabbie-kat
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Thanks ladies, i knew you could rent one from the hospital but wasnt sure how much it would cost. so i asked my heart moms community what they did. was told that since i have a medical card that my insurance should help me get one from the nicu free for 3 months, then $50 after that. they also told me that the nicu nurses will help supply me with freezer containers to take back and forth to them. Im not to concerned about supply i didnt have a problem with my second child because i had breastfed before, and my breasts are already swelled at this point in my pregnancy. they already feel as if they are filling up, they are very hot, sore and my nipples are the size of gumdrops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)