Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new to this! I'm seeking some advice so I can exclusively pump sucessfully

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 403 Total Views

Hi! i'm so thankful i found this group. i thought i was the only one that thought this can be an option when feeding our beautiful babies. my newborn is 5 days old.

I'm seeking advice on how to maintain a good supply for her!

i've heard so many times about how when you exclusively pump it brings down your supply.

well, what can i do to keep that from happening? how often should i pump, how long should i pump for when i do pump, what are some things to avoid my milk drying up or decreasing over time, and what are some vitamins/supplements i can take to be sure i get the best results?

thank you so much! again i am so thankful to find this group

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CandiceDanielle
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:35 PM
You should pump every 2 hrs during the day and 3-4 at night (like baby would nurse) to establish and maintain a supply for the first 3-4 months.
Most women pump anywhere from 10-20 mins,it depends on if you're using a single or double.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelicmom24
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM
I've heard eating oatmeal helps ur supply
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D520
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Make sure to drink plenty of water! I take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle herbs every day...i take more Fenugreek than recommended on the bottle. I also heard oatmeal was good, so I eat that for breakfast as well! Good luck!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlangdon81
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Steel cut oats, pump every 2-3 hours, lots of water, plenty of protein, more milk plus tincture, and constant reading of this message board! The last recommendation works really well when you are frustrated with the fact that you are married to the pump! Good luck! We are always here for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM
You should never go 4 hours between pumping. It might happen but you shouldn't make a habit out of it. Pump more often than baby eats. Start small - you might only be able to save ┬Żoz at a time, but soon you'll find you're able to save more. The first 12 weeks are critical to constantly pumping and saving. Just remember its only 12 weeks and then if you did it right you can start slowing down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Make sure you're using the right size flange/shield too. The one that comes with most pumps is too small for most people. Get a decent pump too. Nothing less than an Ameda PY or Medela PISA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:50 AM
Everything that the ladies above said! I'm still pretty new so i haven't learned all the tricks! Getting an awesome pump though. That wasn't mentioned. Sit your pump near your computer because it gets boring while pumping and if you're bored you'll usually pump for less time. Aiden's doc told me ways to keep my supply up are to... pump every 3-4 hours around the clock, pump for about 5 minites past the let down phase (when it's just barely dripping into the bottles), and drink fluids! Lots of fluids! Especially if you're out and about. And i don't think just pumping means you will have a lower supply than a breast feeding woman. I can pump between 6 and 10 ounces every 3 hours and i don't take any suppliments to boost my supply at the moment. May i ask why you've chosen eping?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andy15
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

establish a schedule for pumping. and dont defer from it. that is the biggest reason many loose supply. supplements like fenugreek, goats rue, mothers milk, the mothers milk tea, blessed thistle. Keep taking viatimines. oatmeal will help too. the real stuff, not instant.  and just pump often. 

jesslynsmommy12
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM

thank you everyone! i really appreciate it. it means so much. i hope all is well.

i started exclusively pumping because for almost 2 weeks and daughter and i had really bad latching problems. my nipples were so raw, and wounded, that they were bright pink (i have really dark brown nipples) they resembled an open wound! besides that she would go long stretches with out eating because we spent so much time trying to latch. so now i just pump :) it is really hard to keep up with though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)