Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sore and sick of the smell!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 367 Total Views
Is there like a secret I don't know about to alleviate these super sore nipples? I'm only 11 days pp . Also the smell of the milk is driving me nuts! I feel like I always need a shower! I don't want to stop pumping but if this soreness doesn't go away soon I will start to resent it >.<

On another note, my supply is awesome... I think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lilmama8408
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Nipple cream
Cool/hot rags
Boob massage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

The only think I found was lanolin.  I don't remember the name of it.  I EP'd for 7 mos.  It was the most difficult thing I have ever done.  Good luck and congratulations.

MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM
You stop leaking so badly at about 4 weeks so you're about half way over it. I showered a few times a day at first. If you don't have time to shower then wipe off with a wet wrag. Lanolin or nipple butter works wonders. Also nuk i think makes soothies that you can buy for ten bucks at the store. I never used them but i've heard good things. I'm 5 weeks in and the soreness is minimal now. Make sure your flanges are the right size for you and keep your suction on low and gradually turn it up to comfort . More suction does not mean more milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MBMommy4
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM
As a Veteran pumper, use olive oil as a lubricant instead of lanolin. It's too sticky and pulls mire. That is best for a BFing baby. Olive oil is naturally antibacterial and will give more when used. Take a paper towel, dip in oil, coat flanges were contact is made. Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Coconut oil is antibacterial too. I still like my nipple butter for pumping.

Also I freaking know that sour smell you're referring to!!! It's gross!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m4m4j
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Thanks so much! I use lanolin but I'll try the nipple butter to see if that works better. Omg all I want to do is shower everytime I pump but have been resulting to a rag since I can't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m4m4j
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Oh I didn't think of coating the pump flanges, maybe that will help more with my next pump. Thanks so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m4m4j
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Yes the smell has me crazy! I'm constantly changing my breast pads so it helps but not completely.

I'm going to have to get some nipple butter and start coating my pump flanges. It's not as bad today thank goodness. <3 Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)