Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pump on a schedule or no???

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 753 Total Views
Ok, so I've been EPing for 7 months now. For the 1st several mos, I pumped around the clock every 3 hrs (or tried to!). However, now I've been pumping whenever I can but just trying to fit in the 7 pumps/24 hrs thing. However, I've heard that its best to stick with a schedule when pumping. Is that true? I work 12-hr shifts, & I don't always get to pump at the same time every day- I just make sure I pump 4 times while I'm there. Any input would be appreciated- thanks!
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CandiceDanielle
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I've always heard a schedule is best and I stuck to one as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D520
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I usually try to pump on a schedule but I've also heard that the number of pumps are what matters and not necessarily the times. And wow! Pumping 4 times at work must be so hard! I work 8 hour shifts and was only pumping twice but am now down to one time. At 7 months you may be able to cut out a session and still get the same amount. It made me nervous to try, but at 4 months, I was able to get down to 4 pumps a day with the same supply. Maybe give it a try if you are comfortable...you might be surprised...and then not as stressed! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Quoting D520:

I usually try to pump on a schedule but I've also heard that the number of pumps are what matters and not necessarily the times. And wow! Pumping 4 times at work must be so hard! I work 8 hour shifts and was only pumping twice but am now down to one time. At 7 months you may be able to cut out a session and still get the same amount. It made me nervous to try, but at 4 months, I was able to get down to 4 pumps a day with the same supply. Maybe give it a try if you are comfortable...you might be surprised...and then not as stressed! :)

Yes, that would be great! I usually pump @ 4am, 8-9am, 11-12am/pm, 3-4pm, 7pm, & then @ 10pm right before bed. I've been kind of scared to cut out a session, bc that's how a lot of women lose their supply. I don't overproduce (3-5ozs/session), & don't really have a stash-just enough to get her by while I'm @ work. I guess I can just try & see what happens...I'm trying to make it to a yr :)
D520
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I was scared too! Maybe try it for a few days and see what happens. If your supply goes down, you can always add that session back and get it right back up! Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Quoting D520:

I was scared too! Maybe try it for a few days and see what happens. If your supply goes down, you can always add that session back and get it right back up! Good luck! :)

Thanks! I'm going to try tomorrow.
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 2:18 AM
I have always heard its the amount of sessions that counts. It didn't make a difference for me to pump on a set schedule...however if I deviated too much there was just not enough time in the day to fit enough sessions in!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:I have always heard its the amount of sessions that counts. It didn't make a difference for me to pump on a set schedule...however if I deviated too much there was just not enough time in the day to fit enough sessions in!
Thank you, I understand. Yes, those little hrs that you go over add up! Also, by now could I reduce the # of times I pump & still maintain my supply, or is that just a trial & error thing?
Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

i try to do every three hours sometimes it goes every four what i do is as soon as my baby finishes eating i pump so my body kinda mimics my babies timing for when he eats and i pump until i am empty and then for additional 5 mins. and this has worked so far and its been four months

milk_mom
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I work 12 hours as well. I also work days and nights. I'm trying to pump at the same times every day to keep agood amount of pump sessions. It's really hard. I still get most of my milk between 1am and 5am. I plan to try speed pumping or whatever its called on my days off to increase my supply. I'm only getting about 25 oz a day. My son drinks about 30oz a day.

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

i try to do every three hours or as close to it as possible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)