Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pump on a schedule or no???

Ok, so I've been EPing for 7 months now. For the 1st several mos, I pumped around the clock every 3 hrs (or tried to!). However, now I've been pumping whenever I can but just trying to fit in the 7 pumps/24 hrs thing. However, I've heard that its best to stick with a schedule when pumping. Is that true? I work 12-hr shifts, & I don't always get to pump at the same time every day- I just make sure I pump 4 times while I'm there. Any input would be appreciated- thanks!
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (11-17):
ForestFlower
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to not pump less than 2 hours apart and I try not to go more than 4 hours.  I don't have a set schedule.  My day to day activities fluctuate as well as my daughter's cooperation

MommyAmes
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM
My baby is 3 months old. When he turned 3 months (a week ago) I went down to pumping 5 times a day. I have been getting between 5 to 9 oz of milk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:29 AM
Quoting MommyAmes:

My baby is 3 months old. When he turned 3 months (a week ago) I went down to pumping 5 times a day. I have been getting between 5 to 9 oz of milk.

That's awesome that you're able to cut down your pumping frequency & still produce that much! I tried cutting back, & for a little while it worked...but then I started to lose my supply. My dd is now 10 months old, so I'm sure there are other factors that contributed to that. Now, I feel like I'm struggling just to keep my head above water : /
MommyAmes
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
That stinks ! I hope mine doesn't go down. Right now I am also being able to freeze about 6 oz a day. Trying to build up my stash.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Quoting MommyAmes:

That's awesome that you're able to cut down your pumping frequency & still produce that much! I tried cutting back, & for a little while it worked...but then I started to lose my supply. My dd is now 10 months old, so I'm sure there are other factors that contributed to that. Now, I feel like I'm struggling just to keep my head above water : /
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck to you! good luck

Quoting MommyAmes:

That stinks ! I hope mine doesn't go down. Right now I am also being able to freeze about 6 oz a day. Trying to build up my stash.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Quoting MommyAmes:

teal.blaze
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

If you want to decrease number of times, pump longer when you are home. I changed my schedule all the time. My supply kept up with ds as long as I pumped the same number of times that he took a bottle.

tori_day07
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I try to pump every 4 hours even at night

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN