Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supply dip?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 212 Total Views
I will be eping for 4 mo at the beginning of Dec. and I'm starting to have trouble with supply. I pump every 3-5 hrs depending when I can. I pump at night when DS wakes up. I'm taking fenugreek and brewers yeast and I drink water when I can. I average 6oz and pump got 45min-1hr. Sometimes I pump less than 6oz and I'm starting to not have enough. He eats 6oz every 2-4 hrs. He also gets formula at night because of suppy. Any suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

6oz is a lot thats a good supply i get that every three hours and thats what my baby eats and he is 6mths old, it sounds like you ar over feeding him breast milk isnt like formula they dont need so much in one sitting talk to your pedi about it. 

AmiJanell
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I agree, feeding 6 ounces is too much....  I would make sure you have a very slow flow nipple 0 or 1 in flow to make sure he's not drinking so fast he doesn't realizes he's full.... and I would slowly cut back on the bottle size.

But I do also know that some babies eat a TON... when my son was 4 months old he was taking 35+ ounces/day... taking 4 ounce bottles every 2-3 hours...  I couldn't keep up with his demand.  We chose to start foods at 4 months rather than 6 months like we had intended.   I also worked with lactation and started more milk plus... which I found much more effective than fenugreek.   I also found that pumping more often vs for longer worked best... so 10-15 minutes at a time rather than longer durations

milk_mom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Try pumping for 20 minutes, stop and massage breast for a few seconds, then pump another 20 minutes. Try eating oatmeal as well. I don't like oatmeal, so I eat oatmeal cookies, and creme pies. It has helped my supply as well. I can't pump as often since I'm back to work, so I double pump to put in an order for more milk. My son is 8 months, 6 adjusted. He can't drink 6 oz every feeding. He usually gets between 4 and 5 oz five times a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)