Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My midwife says if I exclusively pump I will lose my supply

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 820 Total Views

Hi everyone... any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

So I had a very tramatic birth experience where I lost half of my blood supply. Because of this, I am not producing much milk and I am having to supplement. We were using a syringe to give him some formula but he has since started refusing the syringe. I have to give him something because he is still so hungry. He was in special care and received bottles in there because they said he was "dehydrated". Don't even get me started on that!

That's not why it sucks so much. He FIGHTS when I try to put him to the breast. It hurts and I don't enjoy it at all. We are usually both in tears and it can take 20 minutes to just latch him on. I feel so badly that I don't have enough for him and that I don't enjoy it at all.

I WILL NOT just give him formula. I can only pump about an ounce every couple of hours. So I give him what I can. I am really considering exclusively pumping, but my midwife says I will lose my milk supply and won't be able to nurse. Honestly, I feel that I am going to lose my milk supply from the emense stress caused by the hour long fight I like to call my attempt to "nurse" him.

The worst part is I am beginning to resent him. That sounds so terrible and I don't want to feel that way.

I hope someone has some advice for me!! I think I would like exclusively pumping, I know it's hard, but I can't imagine it being harder than this.

Will I lose my supply if I choose to exclusively pump?

Also he had his tongue clipped, so it's not that. He will be 2 weeks old on Friday.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
McPhillipsGang
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That is such bull crap. They just always want the baby on the breast and that is it. I pumped with both of my kids and hardly nursed at all and made enough milk. Actually with my son I made so much my husband had to buy a new freezer to store it and i stopped pumping at 7 months and he was still on breast milk at a year. Sometimes it slows a little but as long as you are eating and pumping every couple hours and drinking your fluids you should not lose your supply.  If you have any questions and I can help email me ok. I will help if I can. I always have people look down on me cause I pump more instead of nurse but it just worked out best for me and my boys. I am pregnant again and plan to do the same thing again. 

mcarsel89
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Thank you, that's so encouraging. Why did you decide not too nurse? Did you not enjoy it? Do you have any tips for increasing supply? I have a lot of herbal supplements I am taking; Mammary, fenugreek (sp?) and mother's milk tea.

Quoting McPhillipsGang:

That is such bull crap. They just always want the baby on the breast and that is it. I pumped with both of my kids and hardly nursed at all and made enough milk. Actually with my son I made so much my husband had to buy a new freezer to store it and i stopped pumping at 7 months and he was still on breast milk at a year. Sometimes it slows a little but as long as you are eating and pumping every couple hours and drinking your fluids you should not lose your supply.  If you have any questions and I can help email me ok. I will help if I can. I always have people look down on me cause I pump more instead of nurse but it just worked out best for me and my boys. I am pregnant again and plan to do the same thing again. 

McPhillipsGang
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Well, with my first son he was born 6 wks early and was in the nicu for 14 days and I could not be with him all day and all night so I had to pump milk and bring it to him twice a day so that he could have breast milk. They fed him from a bottle too and so he never got nipple confusion like a lot of nurses claim. I wanted to try and the lactation nurse inthe nicu told me to just keep pumping and keep my fluids up and get rest and my milk will come in and it did a few days later. I will admitt I had to supplement a couple times just so that I could keep up at first. I decided to pump milk cause it just felt like he was getting more. I mean I would latch him and he had no problems and after like 15 mins he would go to sleep and then 20 mins later wake up screaming again cause he was still hungry. Well at the time my huband traveled for work and it was only me. and it was hard to not sleep and take care of my first baby alone. So I pumped cause I knew how much milk he was getting each feeding and I could track it. And once my husband was home he could also get up and feed my son a couple times so that I could rest. That was the main reasons I decided. I had big babies and they were always hungry so I will admitt to added a scoop of formula to their breast milk from time to time to help fill them up especially at night. I sure people will curse me for that but it worked for me. And with my second son well since it worked so well with my first i just did what was familuar for me with my second. Plus, I made a ton more milk with my second. I mean in the mornings when i pumped I would pump around 15 to 20 oz just in the morning. It was crazy. All i did was drink fluids. I was always hungry and thirsty but considering how much I was pumping. My suggestion is just keep at it. pump every 2-3 hours, drink lots of fluids, make sure you are eating even some small snacks during the day. You can try that mothers milk tea. I drank that a little with my first son and it helped some. It is really what just works for you. With my first son I pumped for 4 months and with my second I pumped for 7. i would make sure that you have a good pump that does matter as well. I did not buy a pump I rented one and it was a double one. And it was a hospital grade pump and it worked good. YOu can look into that. I mean we had to pay out of pocket to rent it each month but some insurances will cover it. Also if not you can claim it on your taxes at the end of the year. That is what we did with both of our boys. I hope that helps some. If there is anything else I can help with I will. 

Like I said I know this is different for others and my methods might not be the best way to do things. But they worked for me and my boys. 

Quoting mcarsel89:

Thank you, that's so encouraging. Why did you decide not too nurse? Did you not enjoy it? Do you have any tips for increasing supply? I have a lot of herbal supplements I am taking; Mammary, fenugreek (sp?) and mother's milk tea.

Quoting McPhillipsGang:

Andy15
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

check this site out 

http://www.gotbreastpump.com/faqInfo.php

lots of great info for pumping. Pump ever 2 hours, lots of water and foods. :) you will make it!

mcarsel89
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I judged moms who formula fed before this. I know feel badly that I did that.

Earlier I pumped and I got 6 ml from left and 7 ml from my right.

I did an hour of skin on skin between pumpings and I got 8 from left and 10 from right. I pump for 20 minutes.

How long/often should I pump? How long does it take to see an increase in the amount I get from pumping?

I was told that the pump doesn't drain the breast as well. Is there anything I can do to help drain more?

I have a Medela Advanced Breast Pump

Quoting McPhillipsGang:

Well, with my first son he was born 6 wks early and was in the nicu for 14 days and I could not be with him all day and all night so I had to pump milk and bring it to him twice a day so that he could have breast milk. They fed him from a bottle too and so he never got nipple confusion like a lot of nurses claim. I wanted to try and the lactation nurse inthe nicu told me to just keep pumping and keep my fluids up and get rest and my milk will come in and it did a few days later. I will admitt I had to supplement a couple times just so that I could keep up at first. I decided to pump milk cause it just felt like he was getting more. I mean I would latch him and he had no problems and after like 15 mins he would go to sleep and then 20 mins later wake up screaming again cause he was still hungry. Well at the time my huband traveled for work and it was only me. and it was hard to not sleep and take care of my first baby alone. So I pumped cause I knew how much milk he was getting each feeding and I could track it. And once my husband was home he could also get up and feed my son a couple times so that I could rest. That was the main reasons I decided. I had big babies and they were always hungry so I will admitt to added a scoop of formula to their breast milk from time to time to help fill them up especially at night. I sure people will curse me for that but it worked for me. And with my second son well since it worked so well with my first i just did what was familuar for me with my second. Plus, I made a ton more milk with my second. I mean in the mornings when i pumped I would pump around 15 to 20 oz just in the morning. It was crazy. All i did was drink fluids. I was always hungry and thirsty but considering how much I was pumping. My suggestion is just keep at it. pump every 2-3 hours, drink lots of fluids, make sure you are eating even some small snacks during the day. You can try that mothers milk tea. I drank that a little with my first son and it helped some. It is really what just works for you. With my first son I pumped for 4 months and with my second I pumped for 7. i would make sure that you have a good pump that does matter as well. I did not buy a pump I rented one and it was a double one. And it was a hospital grade pump and it worked good. YOu can look into that. I mean we had to pay out of pocket to rent it each month but some insurances will cover it. Also if not you can claim it on your taxes at the end of the year. That is what we did with both of our boys. I hope that helps some. If there is anything else I can help with I will. 

Like I said I know this is different for others and my methods might not be the best way to do things. But they worked for me and my boys. 

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting McPhillipsGang:

McPhillipsGang
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Well, I would nurse every once in awhile to help with the increase of of milk. So I mean directly nursing does help with this. But I was making so much my second time around if I did not pump ever couple hours I would leak bad. It was crazy. It is hard to tell how long you should pump. I pumped about 20-25 mins each time. It really just depended on how fast I filled up the bottles. Somesitmes I could do it in 10 and sometimes it took longer. in the mornings I could pump 20 oz in know time I would have like 5 of those little bottles in no time. But it was slower later. Like others if they pumped less they would decrease if I pumped less I would be in trouble lol!!! It was the weirdest thing cause it was not like that the first time doing it. I could tell that i was empty after pumping I could tell by the weight and how hardly any milk would come out anymore. I guess that is why I pumped for longer time periods cause I would get it all. I could feel my breasts and tell if I was empty and when I was not. Sorry that is a little hard to explain. 

Quoting mcarsel89:

I judged moms who formula fed before this. I know feel badly that I did that.

Earlier I pumped and I got 6 ml from left and 7 ml from my right.

I did an hour of skin on skin between pumpings and I got 8 from left and 10 from right. I pump for 20 minutes.

How long/often should I pump? How long does it take to see an increase in the amount I get from pumping?

I was told that the pump doesn't drain the breast as well. Is there anything I can do to help drain more?

I have a Medela Advanced Breast Pump

Quoting McPhillipsGang:

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting McPhillipsGang:

Andy15
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM

every 2 hours, 20-30 mins, lots of water and a good calorie intake, 

warm rag before you pump, and massage while you pump..and when you are done hand compress some out. i read somewhere it takes up to 4 days to see an increase but dont expect a giant jump.

you can take, Blessed thistle, goats rue, fenugreek, more milk plus, special blend and there is a mothers tea. If you get really worried talk to your doc/ob/midwife about giving you a Rx for help.

good luck. remember the more you empty the more you body will make. TRY TRY TRY not to stress when you pump. dont look at it. relax, think of your baby, look at your baby, smell some clothes of your baby. Good luck. we are here for you :D

Andy15
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

if you can't do every two hours, try to get in at minimum 7 pumps. you will see the most milk in the early hours of the morning.. like befoer 6 am. dont wait til you 'feel full' that will make your supply drop. 

get rest too.. HAHA yea i know .. how do you rest when you have to get up in the middle of the night. .. its tough, but you will adjust. 

OH if you do nurse, pump after you nurse, even if you get a tiny amount.. its all on supply and demand. your body will make what it needs. 

take a warm shower before you pump to help you relax.

I have been EPing for 9 months now. full time worker, military. 

Andy15
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

sorry i am adding so many posts, 

the first time you put your pump on its in that faster mode for about 2 minutes.. keep cycling that a few times and then let it go to the ''normal'' pump mode..

if that makes sense at all.

mcarsel89
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Good advice! Thanks so much. I will keep you posted on how I'm doing. I After 2 pumping sessions I got about 32 ml. Which sounds like NOTHING to you I'm sure lol but it was a lot for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN