Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My midwife says if I exclusively pump I will lose my supply

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone... any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

So I had a very tramatic birth experience where I lost half of my blood supply. Because of this, I am not producing much milk and I am having to supplement. We were using a syringe to give him some formula but he has since started refusing the syringe. I have to give him something because he is still so hungry. He was in special care and received bottles in there because they said he was "dehydrated". Don't even get me started on that!

That's not why it sucks so much. He FIGHTS when I try to put him to the breast. It hurts and I don't enjoy it at all. We are usually both in tears and it can take 20 minutes to just latch him on. I feel so badly that I don't have enough for him and that I don't enjoy it at all.

I WILL NOT just give him formula. I can only pump about an ounce every couple of hours. So I give him what I can. I am really considering exclusively pumping, but my midwife says I will lose my milk supply and won't be able to nurse. Honestly, I feel that I am going to lose my milk supply from the emense stress caused by the hour long fight I like to call my attempt to "nurse" him.

The worst part is I am beginning to resent him. That sounds so terrible and I don't want to feel that way.

I hope someone has some advice for me!! I think I would like exclusively pumping, I know it's hard, but I can't imagine it being harder than this.

Will I lose my supply if I choose to exclusively pump?

Also he had his tongue clipped, so it's not that. He will be 2 weeks old on Friday.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Replies (11-16):
Andy15
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

GOOD JOB!!!  Some is better then none!!!!! Just keep it up. They say its most important to pump as much and often in the first 6 weeks so your body knows whats going on. Good luck!!!!

ardiaxe
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I went through the same thing with my daughter!  It's the reason I decided to EP.  I did it until she was 18 months old.  You need to take care of yourself and enjoy being a mom.  Forget about all of the advice you get to get baby back to the breast. At this point, it's impossible, baby assciates the breast with stress.  You do not want it to develop into full blown feeding aversion.it can be done!  It's difficult, but not as difficult as trying to get an uncooperative baby to the breast.

.sp4rkl3z.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this
It is possible the tongue tie wasn't fully revised. Have you seen a chiro?

Are you wanting to nurse or pump? I joined this group EPing but desiring to exclusively nurse. I am now 100% nursing him (he won't even take a bottle) but it was tough !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM
First 12*

Quoting Andy15:

GOOD JOB!!!  Some is better then none!!!!! Just keep it up. They say its most important to pump as much and often in the first 6 weeks so your body knows whats going on. Good luck!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM

i make more when i pump than breastfeeding. You would think it would be the other way around.

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I only nursed for the first six weeks solid and then off and on a few feedings a day until he was four months and now he is six months and hasn't been to the breast in two months and i only pump and y supply is good as long as you pump as frequent as the baby eats and empty your breast each time and eat well and drink lots of fluids you will be fine they just want you to nurse. Breast milk is breast milk no matter how the baby gets it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN