Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you continue in this situation?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 308 Total Views

I don't know if any of you remember my other posts but I'm suffering from low milk supply due to a postpartum hemorrhage. I produce at most 20 ml from my right breast after a 20 minute pumping. I say at most because that is in the morning. Normally I pump about 7 - 10 ml from my right and 5 - 7 from left.I get about 3 oz - 4 oz pumping 12 times a day.

My question is... considering all the hard work pumping is... every 3 hours and through the night... would you continue if you were only getting as much as me?

I hired an in-home lactation consultant. She was very nice and realistic. She told me to start preparing myself for the fact that I probably will never have enough to feed him only breast milk. I cried so hard. When I think about letting my milk dry up I tear up and my chest hurts.She said I am going through a grieving (sp?) process. I am glad she was honest and realistic with me.

I am on my last day of Reglan. Didn't help much.

Fenugreek has made no difference.

Blessed thistle, mother's milk tea...

I feel I have exhausted all efforts. Plus, every woman in my family gains while breastfeeding, so of course I'm gaining weight too!! got on the scale this morning... 10 pounds in 3 weeks!!!! That's insane. is it worth it??? my sister gained 50 in 6 mo, my mom 40...what do i do??

I want to make my own formula off of healthy home economists blog. Looks super healthy, much better than packaged crap.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd say you've been an awesome mom & have a great plan B! You just do what you think is right, & it will all be ok! :))
lalitadevi
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I know excatly how you feel :(. You try your best!!. I didn't know about this blog I did a crazy reasearch looking for the best and I end up order  my from Germany is name Holle organic is a really  good formula. Is expensive but is one the best. Take care

lemastem14
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Be proud of yourself and do what is best for you and your baby. Take it from me. I struggled with bf for various reasons for the first 7 weeks and didnt really get to enjoy every second with my little man. When I finally decided to do what I felt in my heart I realized what I had been missing!! Enjoy your baby. As long as you are both happy and healthy that truly is all that matters! Congrats on being an amazing mom bc if you werent you wouldnt be worried
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I think it is normal to grieve when bf'ing doesn't go the way we want it to. It's ok to cry and grieve. But also keep reminding yourself that you worked really hard and did your best. And sometimes the best thing for your baby is to stop all the frustration and time of pumping to have more time and energy to devote to baby.

it's ok to stop. i know it's hard. but it's ok.

lemastem14
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I totally agree with her!! I did for about a week and I promise I survived...it is hard but no matter what it is your decision and do what makes you happy!!

Quoting Bethbeth:

I think it is normal to grieve when bf'ing doesn't go the way we want it to. It's ok to cry and grieve. But also keep reminding yourself that you worked really hard and did your best. And sometimes the best thing for your baby is to stop all the frustration and time of pumping to have more time and energy to devote to baby.

it's ok to stop. i know it's hard. but it's ok.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ForestFlower
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I have no idea what you should do.  I just want to say I am so sorry you have to make this choice.  I couldn't breastfeed my first and pumped as long as I could.  Now, my second is refusing the breast too.  I keep pumping even though I see how hard it is on me and my 4 year old.  I feel like my continuing to pump isn't logical - yet I continue to do so.  I hope you are able to find a solution that works well for your family.

mcarsel89
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I was diagnosed with IGT, only producing 3 ounces a day. I was crying and heartbroken every day and the LC advised me that it would be okay/best for me to stop pumping. I found a donor mom and he now gets 4 oz a day of breastmilk and I make his homemade WAP formula every day. It makes me feel better and okay about not breastfeeding him. I am doing the best I can and I won't be as hard on myself with the next baby. I can say it took me a couple of weeks to come to terms with stopping pumping, but one day I though "what's going to benefit my baby more, a happy healthy mom who holds me and cuddles me all that I want, or a grumpy mom who has to put me down to pump while she cries and pumps 3 oz of breastmilk a day?" Like you, I continued to do so, but I am so happy that I stopped. I feel so much more relieved and bonded with my baby. It would have been a different story if I had got more than 5 ml from each breast during pumping, or if he had wanted to nurse.

Quoting ForestFlower:

I have no idea what you should do.  I just want to say I am so sorry you have to make this choice.  I couldn't breastfeed my first and pumped as long as I could.  Now, my second is refusing the breast too.  I keep pumping even though I see how hard it is on me and my 4 year old.  I feel like my continuing to pump isn't logical - yet I continue to do so.  I hope you are able to find a solution that works well for your family.

ForestFlower
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I am so glad to hear you and baby are doing well.  Thanks for letting me know how things worked out for you.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)