Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many oz do you put in the storage bags to freeze?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 281 Total Views
New to this and I'm breastfeeding and after I pump so start building my stock for when I go back to work when he is 6 weeks. (he is 1 week now). Question is how many oz should I be putting in the storage bags to be frozen. I've been putting 2 oz each but I'm not sure if that's too little to be putting in for a 6 week old at daycare each feeding. Totally clueless here and can't really find any info on this lol Thanks girls!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM
I think that would be plenty for each feeding right now. My dd is 10 months & only takes 4 ozs/feeding.
MommyAmes
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:13 AM
My baby is 3 months. I first put 4 oz. now I am putting 6. It wasn't for when I go back to work though. I stay home & it was just the extra that I got. I will use it all eventually. I think 2 oz is okay to use but may need to go up a little soon.
Loralismommy224
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Just keep in mind, that they should be getting no more than 3 ozs of BM until around 6 months...then, you can gradually increase. BM & formula are made up totally different. BM's calories, proteins, etc increase naturally as your baby ages, so it doesn't need to be increased like formula would.
MommyAmes
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Btw my baby has been drinking 4 oz since he turned 2 months. I don't over feed him either. He wants it.

Quoting MommyAmes:

My baby is 3 months. I first put 4 oz. now I am putting 6. It wasn't for when I go back to work though. I stay home & it was just the extra that I got. I will use it all eventually. I think 2 oz is okay to use but may need to go up a little soon.
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM
The goal is to keep baby satisfied when you're away, and then nurse like crazy when you're together to make up for it. It's called reverse cycling. How long will you be away? That's what I would use to factor in how much per bag. If you'll miss two feedings, I think 4 oz is okay because that's two 2 oz bottles. I just don't think you need to "waste" bags if you know you'll use X amount per day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I fill the bags bc they are expensive my bags are 10oz 

AmiJanell
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I freeze various sizes... whatever I pumped... 3-6 ounce bags.... I don't send frozen bags to daycare, I make the bottles up in 4 ounces at home and send it like that.

You won't need a huge stockpile before you start work though... you should be able to pump what you need while you are at work.  (I breastfeed and pump too)  I always pump right before work, pump once at work and then before bed... this is always enough for the next day...   I have been at work for 2 months now and I have only needed to thaw 1 bag of frozen.... and been able to freeze about 10 more since I started... so I usually end up with more than I need. I usually pack 1 extra bottle over what I expect her to take... she usually takes 10 ounces while I am gone... I send 3 4 ounce bottles.

Loralismommy224
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Wow, I'm so glad y'all are having the "problem" of having too much. I on the other hand struggle to just make enough for when I'm away at work (12-13hrs)! I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I've been truly EPing for 10 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)