Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group and new to exclusively pumping...

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 150 Total Views

Hello!!

I am Sara. I have a 5 year old DD who was breastfeed for a few weeks and then unfortunately switched to formula.  I now have a 4 week old DD who has been ebf since day one. Even after 4 weeks we are having issues with her latch. I have been pumping and nursing. She does much better with the bottle than she does with the breast. She doesn't get as gassy or frustrated with the bottle. I am a SAHM who has decided that I want to exclusively pump. I know that its time consuming but honestly... she takes so long to get a proper latch and get her relaxed enough to nurse that pumping is faster for us.

I am now wondering how to get started... I only have a manual pump at the moment, but I have about 12 to 14 ounces of pumped milk stored... I need advice on a good pump that isnt going to break the bank. I want a closed system... so would the best bet be Ameda?? Also... how do I transition from breast and pumping to just pumping? I want to make sure that I have enough on hand... Do I just continue to nurse and pump while building a supply and slowly drop the nursing sessions? How do I know how much to give at each feeding? I have been giving about 2 ounces every 2 hours or so...

Thank you so much for the help... I am now off to search through the other posts and learn what I can!!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Welcome! I completely understand...I've been EPing since dd was 5 days old (long story), & she's now 10 months old. I'll give you a great website that'll get you started & that can also answer a lot of your questions: kellymom.com. It's great that you already have a good stash to get you ahead. Right now, nurse as much as you can bc lactating is based on supply & demand (the more that's removed, the more you'll make). Baby can remove more than a pump; however, continue to pump after she nurses to make sure you're completely empty. Always use the slowest flow nipples for your bottle, & stop to burp lo often. Once your supply is established (around 8 wks), you should be able to drop nursing all together (if you still want) & just pump. You'll need to pump at least every 3 hrs then. Also, don't let anyone try & discourage you from pumping. You do what is better for you & your lo- pumping is hard & time consuming, but it can be done! Like I said, I've been doing it for about 10 months, & I work full time...GL to you & we're here to help!

smange
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I can't answer all your questions (and I'm new here too and have been exclusively pumping since he was 3 days old) but as for the pump, I just bought a used medela In Style for $100 and a kit from the hospital with all the sterile parts.  None of the milk actually touches anything from the pump so I don't know why they discourage it so much.  Get a double pump for sure AND get a pumping bra (or take a sports bra and cut holes for the flanges to go out of) so you can have hands free.  I pump after he eats/burps/falls asleep every time.  

As for how much, my doctor just said that basically you can't feed them too much, if they are still hungry and eating, let them have at it.

Oh and the only other thing I can think of at the moment, is to make sure the flange (the part the nipple is sucked into) is the right size.  If it's too small and you're constantly rubbing against it, that's going to hurt...having it too big is also not great because it sucks too much into it and seemed to be not as efficient,  if that makes sense.

Good luck, you got this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)