Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much/newborns?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

Hi, new to the group, I pumped exclusively with my son because he had latching issues, Pretty sure I'll pump exclusively for my twins too because it makes me feel better knowing how much they're getting, any my question is. How much do newborns usually eat? They've been eating 15 ml every 2-4 hours. I can't remember what my son ate or how often :(

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Hello, & welcome! I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to convert mL to ozs right off hand, but newborns should probably eat 1-2 ozs every 2-3 hrs in the beginning. The way our pedi explained it to us was you double their weight in the beginning, & that's how many ozs they should get (ex: a 5lb baby should only need 10ozs per day). However, that doesn't apply after a while, so I just went by the BM standards of no more/no less than 24-30 ozs per day.
AmiJanell
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

How newborn are they?  For a brand new baby 0-5 days or so, 15 mL would be normal... but I would expect a baby that is older to take 30-60mL per feeding.

LoveMyTiny
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM

They're 3 days old

Quoting AmiJanell:

How newborn are they?  For a brand new baby 0-5 days or so, 15 mL would be normal... but I would expect a baby that is older to take 30-60mL per feeding.

Cowgirlmom09
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM
My nb at 5 days started eating 2 oz and still does now. I am pumping and having to supplement too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Were they full term? 15 mls is only 1/2 an ounce. I would think they should be closer to 2 oz. Or at least in the next few days they should be eating more.

LoveMyTiny
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

4 weeks early, I've bumped them up to 40ml, I'm worried though.. They refuse to eat any more then that, sometimes Kai doesn't even eat that! and since we've been home they both lost another pound..

Quoting Bethbeth:

Were they full term? 15 mls is only 1/2 an ounce. I would think they should be closer to 2 oz. Or at least in the next few days they should be eating more.

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I assume you are going to the Dr soon for weight checks?

Quoting LoveMyTiny:

4 weeks early, I've bumped them up to 40ml, I'm worried though.. They refuse to eat any more then that, sometimes Kai doesn't even eat that! and since we've been home they both lost another pound..

Quoting Bethbeth:

SRB212
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
My pediatrician has baby girl on 2 oz every 2-3 hours. She weighed 6p 2.5oz at our last appt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)