Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here with a few questions...

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

I am exclusively pumping for my DD. She is almost 6 weeks old. Right now I pump every 3 hours during the day. I pump right before going to bed at 12. Then DD sleeps until 4 am. I have been sleeping those 4 hours the last few nights then getting up and pumping while feeding her. Is 4 hours too much time in between at night? I pump at 4 am then again at 7-8am and then continue with every 3 hours during the day...

I get alot of milk when I pump at 4 and then again between 7 and 8 but during the day when I pump every 3 hours the amount is alot less. At 4 am I get 6 to 8 ounces from both breasts. I get about 6 ounces at the next pumping session... but during the day I am lucky to get 3 ounces.  Dakota is eating 4 ounce bottles every 3 hours or so. (more right now because she is sick & I think we are coming into another growth spurt)

I feel like I am barely keeping up with what she eats and not getting enough to freeze. Nursing to help my supply isnt an option because she has a pretty bad lip tie and cannot latch. 

I am currently pumping with a Medela Symphony through WIC. 

How can I make sure I am getting enough milk to feed her and freeze some as well?  

Thanks in advance for the help...

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

You sound just like me. I've been EPing for 10 months, & I've never been able to freeze any.

shel29681
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I was told to try pumping pumping evey hour for for a while. To boost my supply you won't get a lot of milk but it tells your body to that you need more milk. I eat oatmeal that also seems to help. Look online there is a lot of materal for pumping and how to boost your supply
CourtneyCS
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:23 AM
They eat 24 to 30 oz a day of pumped milk. I so not believe 4 hours is too long at six weeks. I know at 6 wks my last baby slept through the b
night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyAmes
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I think you are pumping plenty of times. When I seem to get a little lower in supply I take fenugreek. Some people don't like it but it works great with me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
McPhillipsGang
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I do not think that 4 hours is to long. For me with my second son I made so much milk it was not even funny. But I drank so much water through the night and all day. I would pump every 4 hours during the day. And then I pumped milk right before I went to bed and I slept all night and got up around 6 am and pumped milk and would fill around 4 or 5 of those little medula 2.5 oz bottles. It would be around 15 - 20 oz of milk in the morning when i woke up. And then through the day I would make around 7-10 oz. I was also eating small things thru the day like crackers etc and I drank so much water. I am not sure if that is what did it. But my husband had to buy a new freezer bc I ran out of room to store it. I stopped pumping when my son was 7 months and he was still on breast milk until he was 1 yr. I know in my case it was probably unusal but I just made sure I was eating and drinking enough through the day. It just seemed that the longer I waited the more milk I got. But I know that is kinda backwards. I guess it just depends on your body. I mean I tried that mother milk tea stuff and I never seen a difference. With my first son I did not make as much But I was able to keep up until he was around 6 months old. But my milk did slow down. I did not do anything different then I did with my first then I did with my second. I rented a pump that was like the hospital kinda and it worked great. I did with my first son put him to the breast more and that helped alot sometimes to increase it. 

I would say make sure you are getting enough rest, eating enough , drinking enough, and maybe trying some of the herbs or teas that help increase you milk. It might help. the eating, drinking, and resting is what helped me the most. I am sorry I am not the biggest help. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)