Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried I wont be able to supply enough for him.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 311 Total Views

So I'm new to this whole pumping thing been pumping since he was about 3 days old because was having to many issues with him not getting enough when trying to breastfeed. To the point he was hospitalized for a week till he started gaining weight again and I'm being made to fortify my breast milk. I pump every three hours during the day and try to pump at least once at night. I'm normally so tired that's all I can manage to stay awake for after tending to him. he is now 13 days old and I get roughly 2 ounces total every pump session. I really don't want to have to supplement more than the fortifying I'm already doing. Any suggestions on how to up my supply So I can get a stash going and so that I will be producing enough for him to eat.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Hello, & welcome. The best way to do it is just pump, pump, pump! If you can, put him to breast as often as you can. Baby can remove more than a pump. Just remember, especially at this early in the game, milk is based on supply & demand. Drink plenty of water, eat enough calories, & REST when he sleeps!!! It's very hard, I know, but you can do this :)
MommyAmes
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I agree with the mommy above. I also took Fenugreek & it worked great for my supply. Just hang in there. It does get better!

JessLackey
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Ive tried breastfeeding him and it just doesn't work. He refuses to latch. Ive tried multiple different holds and  nipple shields its just a no go. I had to start pumping while he was in NICU and since then he just refuses to take me. As long as he is eating and its breast milk I'm fine with that though. Just Hoping I can still keep up with him because I barley am now.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Hello, & welcome. The best way to do it is just pump, pump, pump! If you can, put him to breast as often as you can. Baby can remove more than a pump. Just remember, especially at this early in the game, milk is based on supply & demand. Drink plenty of water, eat enough calories, & REST when he sleeps!!! It's very hard, I know, but you can do this :)

Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I understand. My dd stopped latching after she was 5 days old bc I had to supplement a few bottles of formula (my milk didn't come in until she was 4 days old), so I've been EPing since. She's now 2 days shy of 11 months. In the beginning it is hard to keep up bc they eat so frequently, but it does get better- I promise! Just try & pump every 2 hrs during the day for at least 15 mins & every 3 hrs at night. I know you'll get exhausted, so this is where a good support system comes into play. Make sure you ask for help if you need it. Buy a hands free pumping bra, & you can pump while baby eats (sit lo in a bouncer, swing, boppy, etc) that way you're killing two birds with one stone. Like I said before, just keep pumping & drink plenty of fluids. 

Quoting JessLackey:

Ive tried breastfeeding him and it just doesn't work. He refuses to latch. Ive tried multiple different holds and  nipple shields its just a no go. I had to start pumping while he was in NICU and since then he just refuses to take me. As long as he is eating and its breast milk I'm fine with that though. Just Hoping I can still keep up with him because I barley am now.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

...also, order you some herbal supplements called Motherlove more milk special blend. They're liquid capsules that has helped me with my supply issues bc I can def tell if I hadn't taken them in a while. Make sure you get the one stated above bc it has goats rue as an ingredient- that helps a lot vs without it. I ordered mine from Amazon, & I get it within a couple of days!

addyangel
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I can relate, DD stopped latching soon after we got out of the hospital. I had to supplement with formula in the hospital because she wasn't getting anything from me, she didn't have any wet diapers for the first day. I pumped, pumped, pumped around the clock. When she woke up at night to eat, I pumped. I didn't limit myself to just pumping once a night or anything. Yes, it was exhausting. To feed a baby then stay up an extra 20 minutes to pump? I was a zombie. My milk supply took a good month to establish. I reintroduced my baby to the breast at 11 weeks and we now EBF at home and I only pump at work. Keep at it and good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JessLackey
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Ive been pumping every 2 to 3 hours during the day and at night I pump every time I feed him. I pump for 20-30 minutes every time. ive been using my boppy pillow for him he hates his bouncer but i think its because he is still kind of small for it so I roll up blankets to help keep him stable.lol I ordered the motherlove more milk special blend and the ferngreek. they should be here today actually. Hopefully they help.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

I understand. My dd stopped latching after she was 5 days old bc I had to supplement a few bottles of formula (my milk didn't come in until she was 4 days old), so I've been EPing since. She's now 2 days shy of 11 months. In the beginning it is hard to keep up bc they eat so frequently, but it does get better- I promise! Just try & pump every 2 hrs during the day for at least 15 mins & every 3 hrs at night. I know you'll get exhausted, so this is where a good support system comes into play. Make sure you ask for help if you need it. Buy a hands free pumping bra, & you can pump while baby eats (sit lo in a bouncer, swing, boppy, etc) that way you're killing two birds with one stone. Like I said before, just keep pumping & drink plenty of fluids. 

Quoting JessLackey:

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I think getting 2 oz per session at 13 days post-partem is great! I wouldn't worry so much about getting a stash, just try to make what he needs today. Best thing is to pump as much as you can (8-10 times a day for sure). You're doing a great job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)