Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping preference

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 191 Total Views

Has anyone ever preferred pumping over breast feeding? Everyone always seems to prefer actually breast feeding over pumping but I think I actually preferred pumping. For my last daughter I started to breast feed and got to about 6 weeks and switched over to pumping. To me it just seemed easier at the time and I did not know what I do now about the benefits of actually continuing to breast feed over pumping exclusively. I did end up pumping for 16 months for her. This time my daughter is now 6 weeks old and we have been breast feeding and doing a little bit of pumping just to get a supply up for when I go back to work and I find that I actually would prefer pumping and bottle feeding. I am going to try to keep actually breast feeding as it is going really well but I think it actually takes me longer to wait while she eats than it does for me to pump and feed her a bottle. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel kind of bad because most people pump because they were not able to bf and I did it just because it was easier for me.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM
No, I despise pumping! I think the reason is bc it's so time consuming...& if I were BFding, I'd be using that time to be with my dd instead of next to my pump having someone else to watch her. I also think that bc I don't "over produce", it's been stressful trying to keep up with her needs. I've been EPing for 11 months.
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I am VERY sad I wasn't able to nurse.

kryjen
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I have struggled to bf both my kids.  Ds never took to it, he was too lazy of a sucker according to the lc's, so I epd for over a year.  It sucked, but was worth it.  Now, dd struggles st the breast.  One of my big issues is that I have flat nipples.  The other big struggle is she's tongue-tied and there wasn't much to clip to fix it.  So, nursing is just too painful, and she's destroyed my nipples.  Pumping is easier on me.  I think being able to bf would be more convenient for those times when we are out and I need relief, but otherwise, I know pumping is less time consuming than her lazing on my boob and gumming me for over an hour.  That's why I think even after my nips heal, I'll probably still ep.

JP2010
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I love pumping. Your feelings reflect mine. I appreciated not being the only person that could feed her, although I was still able to give her breast milk. I also work so I knew getting her used to a bottle was important. It's been kind of a best of both worlds scenario for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)