Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Established supply- How many times a day should I pump?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 238 Total Views
My daughter is 7 months old and we're making the switch to EPing. How many times a day should I be pumping? Or do I need to pump every x amount of hours? Any advice would be awesome! Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:34 AM
2 moms liked this

since you made it to 7 months, it's tough to say. if you were at 2 months the easy answer is 8-10 times per day. but at 7 months we don't really know. some women have to keep up the 8-10 times per day to keep their supply. if they start to drop off, their supply really tanks. other women are able to cut down quite a bit the number of times, and still keep up a great supply. so, there's no easy answer. if you feel like you have a great supply you could try to cut back. if you have struggled with supply you might not want to. ultimately, you don't know what your body will do until you try it.

SRB212
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:35 AM
8-10 times a day? Really? That seems like a ton! Guess I better get busy!

Quoting Bethbeth:

since you made it to 7 months, it's tough to say. if you were at 2 months the easy answer is 8-10 times per day. but at 7 months we don't really know. some women have to keep up the 8-10 times per day to keep their supply. if they start to drop off, their supply really tanks. other women are able to cut down quite a bit the number of times, and still keep up a great supply. so, there's no easy answer. if you feel like you have a great supply you could try to cut back. if you have struggled with supply you might not want to. ultimately, you don't know what your body will do until you try it.

MommyAmes
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM
My baby is 5 months & I have ep'd since birth. Now I only pump 3 times a day. I was getting a ton of milk though when pumping 4 times. That would have been great but I am running out of room in my freezer. I am still getting extra now.
Henrysmomma0915
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I pump every 4 hours, but I have been EPing since she was born since she was introduced to bottles and wouldn't nurse and have a good supply (enough to pump more than she needs EVERY time.)  8-10 times a day seems like a LOT.  I would say you should be pumping as often as she is eating.  BUT I wouldn't go more than 4 hours...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN