Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

Man I feel like all I ever do is pump and clean bottles! It is never ending, just finish cleaning up and feel like I am right back at it again. I am in my 4th month of EP, have done it since day one and I am now pumping 5 times a day.

I read online where someone puts things in a Ziploc bag in the fridge and only washes them once a day. Does anyone do this and if so do you use a new bag everyday or clean the bag and re use? If I clean it it is one more thing to have to wash! If not it will get expensive and it is not environmentally friendly.

I pretty much wash the horns and parts after every pump with soap and hot water. I rinse the bottles in hot water after each use and wash with soap and water once a day. I sterilize them in the microwave once a week, but sometimes forget this part!

Thanks for listening!

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I remember when I first started EPing (when dd was 5 days old) & it seeming like that's all I did! It does get better! I did the ziplock bag thing when I was at work just bc I didn't have time to clean them after each use while I was there. I just got a new one...the cheap ones are not that expensive (& totally worth having one less thing to have to wash!). Honestly, what I did/do is after each use I just rinse everything really good with cool water & lay them out to dry on a bath towel. IMO I don't think you really have to wash everything with soap & water after EVERY pump...that's why you feel like it's never ending! When the milk comes out, it's clean anyway. If you rinse it off before bacteria can grow...then you're ok. My dd is now 12.5 months old & (knock on wood) she's only been sick 1 time...with an ear infection.
AmiJanell
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I only rinse by pump horns and bottles with hot water throughout the day... my lactation consultant said using soap too often can cause build up and tummy upset. Wash at the end of the day. 

lemastem14
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Medela makes quick steam bags. They come 5 to a pkg for about $6. I love them and use them at work and at home sometimes. Otherwise, I have about 5 sets and run them through the dishwasher once a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)