Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I increase my milk supply?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

My daughter will be two weeks old on Friday. This past Monday I found out she was still jaundice and not gaining weight because she was not getting enough milk from my breasts. After meeting with a lactation consultant, I learned that my daughter has a severe narrow latch and is unable to latch onto my nipple. She even latches onto bottles incorrectly. Because of this, my milk supply decreased significantly and I hadn't begun a pumping routine yet to store milk. I have to take her to a speech and language pathologist next week to do a feeding evaluation and make sure the muscles in her mouth are working correctly. This is very heartbreaking for me because my breastfeeding experience with my son was wonderful and I was able to breastfeed him until he was 15 months, plus I was a cow when I pumped with him and had a freezer full of milk with him. Yesterday, my lactation consultant told me to pump every two hours and take fenugreek to help boost my supply. Because my daughter isn't latching, I have to nurse her on both sides and then feed her a two ounce bottle at every feeding because she isn't getting enough milk off my breasts. I'm only pumping an ounce to an ounce and a half during each pumping session, and have to supplement the rest with formula. I'm really worried that I'm not going to be able to get my supply back up and give her what I was able to give to my son. Any suggestions as to how I can get my supply back up?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Just continue to pump every 2 hrs, 3 hrs during the night. Drink plenty of water & get as much rest as you can!!! I use Motherlove Special blend supplements & it helps! I ordered mine off Amazon. Just make sure you get the ones that have goats rue as an ingredient. Don't stress mama, it'll be ok. Just do the best you can :)
punkymommy91
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

How much fenugreek are you taking, and how long have you been taking it. I take 3 to 4 fenugreek capsules every 4 hours. My lactation consultant told me that you will know you are taking enough when your sweat and urine start to smell like maple syrup. It can also take a week for fenugreek to really kick in. Make sure you are pumping every 2 hours during the day, and 3-4 at night. Don't skip a pumping! My supply started to dip a little, so I would empty a side, and then keep pumping a little longer to try to stimulate it to produce more. Just keep doing what you are doing, and make sure you are getting enough calories in from healthy food, and drinking enough water. What ever you do, don't give up!

ejv2010
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM

My lactation consultant told me to take 3 capsules 3 times a day. She told me about the maple syrup smell too! I've been pumping every couple of hours during the day and after every feeding during the night (twice).

bigmamaisback
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I would definitely stick with pumping every 2 hours and overnight as well. Use a hospital grade dual electric pump and pump both breasts at the same time. I exclusively pump and I have had to use herbs to keep my supply up. Do  a google search for a tea called Breastea and drink it daily. I have increased from  1/2 ounce per pumping to about 5 ounces since I started drinking it daily. If you can keep up your milk supply hopefully in time your daughter will be able to latch as she grows larger. Hang in there, MOM!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN