Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stored Milk

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 254 Total Views
1 mom liked this

So my freezer is currently half full of bags of frozen milk. I decided to take inventory, just to see exactly how many there are. 74 BAGS! All with a minimum of 6 oz. Not bad for my DD only being 6 weeks old. Of course... I told my husband and he said I am like a cow. Haha. There was no real point to this post. I am just amazed that I have this much. I think I am gong to need a deep freezer!

dancing

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

wow! great job!

SherryWeiss
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great!! We had to take a bunch of our frozen milk out to the in-laws as our deep freezer was getting too full. We completely filled there small deep freezer with milk, hopefully they won't mind! They are in Florida right now and will come home to no freezer space! If you are not aware the milk lasts longer in a deep freezer if you plan on keeping it for awhile. We do not use the frozen milk yet, as I have enough fresh milk to supply her. I did have her try one bag of the frozen to make sure she would eat it, which she did! Didn't want to keep storing it if she would not eat it!

punkymommy91
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM

All of the milk I am freezing is from oversupply. In the morning I am pumping anywhere from 16 to 19 oz, (I usually skip a session at night because I really don't feel like waking up to go pump.) The rest of the day I generally get about 8 to 10 oz. She is eating about 3 to 4 oz every 3 hours, so I keep some bottles in the fridge ready to go, and the rest goes into the freezer.

Loralismommy224
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Quoting punkymommy91:

All of the milk I am freezing is from oversupply. In the morning I am pumping anywhere from 16 to 19 oz, (I usually skip a session at night because I really don't feel like waking up to go pump.) The rest of the day I generally get about 8 to 10 oz. She is eating about 3 to 4 oz every 3 hours, so I keep some bottles in the fridge ready to go, and the rest goes into the freezer.

That's great that you can produce that much, but word to the wise: unless your dd is feeding in the middle of the night, you really still need to be pumping @ least 1x bw 1-5 am, especially since your dd is still so young. Your supply is still trying to establish itself, & that's a good way to start losing it.
MommyAmes
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM
That's awesome! My freezer is full (my baby is 6 months old). I am weening off the pump though so I am starting to use what I have stored.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SherryWeiss
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Hello, I am wondering how you are managing the frozen milk, are you taking the bags out and defrosting them in the fridge and if so how many do you take out at a time? I may start doing this in a month, my husband says I need to as we will have no room left to store it!! I may want to pump longer and if I do I will donate some of my earlier milk to someone who needs it.

Any suggestions for weening off the pump?

Thanks

Quoting MommyAmes:

That's awesome! My freezer is full (my baby is 6 months old). I am weening off the pump though so I am starting to use what I have stored.

MommyAmes
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Yes I defrost them in the fridge. I really just do about a days worth at a time. I just quit pumping so I am just figuring this out. I went to pumping twice a day so typically I started getting less. Then I went to once a day & I only had to do that for a few days. I tried to go from 2 days to quitting but it hurt. Pumping less & less did the trick. ;) good luck to you! I hope that helped.
MommyAmes
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Oops! I meant to quote this but see above for response:)

Quoting SherryWeiss:

Hello, I am wondering how you are managing the frozen milk, are you taking the bags out and defrosting them in the fridge and if so how many do you take out at a time? I may start doing this in a month, my husband says I need to as we will have no room left to store it!! I may want to pump longer and if I do I will donate some of my earlier milk to someone who needs it.

Any suggestions for weening off the pump?

Thanks

Quoting MommyAmes:

Radellia
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM
How long do you pump for? How long did it take for you to build up such a supply?? I get maybe 2-3 oz total after pumping for 20min... I'm also BFing tho

Quoting punkymommy91:

punkymommy91
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I pump for about 20 minutes each side. I'm not breastfeeding, since she has trouble latching, and I've had an over supply ever since my milk came in. I take fenugreek as well, but just to keep my supply up.

Quoting Radellia:

How long do you pump for? How long did it take for you to build up such a supply?? I get maybe 2-3 oz total after pumping for 20min... I'm also BFing tho

Quoting punkymommy91:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN